Error loading a .dot document in a j2ee application

Hello,

We are having problems trying to open a document in a servlet environment. The code in our servlet is like this:

protected void doPost(…)
{
    Document returnValue = null;
    try
    {
        returnValue = new Document(filename);
    }
    catch (Exception e)
    {
        e.printStackTrace();
        throw new ServletException();
    }
}

Our environment is a WAS application server(Java 1.5.0) under Linux (a clone of our client environment). In this environment, there is always an error the third time we execute the servlet (an UnsupportedFileFormatException). There is no problem if we load an empty document, it fails only when we try to load an existing document (a .dot document).

If we test this code in a separate class in a main method there is no problem (but if we put it in a loop it also fails on the third iteration).

Thank you for your help.

Hi
Thanks for your inquiry. Could you please attach the document that causes this error? I will try to reproduce this issue on my side and provide you more information.
Best regards.

Thanks for your quick reply. This is one of the documents that fails, all the others that we have also fails.

Hi,
Probably it is known issue: IBM JIT conflicts with optimization of Aspose.Words jar. This issue will be fixed in the next Aspose.Words release. For temporary workaround I have emailed you Aspose.Words.jdk15.jar without optimization that should work with IBM JIT. Please, check your e-mail.
Best Regards,

Hello,

The issue seems to be resolved, thank you. We have tested our real case and it works too.

We would like to know what are the possible consequences of using this version without optimization, and if you could give us an estimated release date for the next update.

Thank you for your support.

Hi,
For you it is no any consequences of using Aspose.Words option without optimization. Removed optimization is just byte-code optimization that slightly shrinks the jar file size and raises the performance. IBM JIT does the same but just-in-time. So IBM JIT optimization conflicts with our optimization. By the way, I didn’t hear about conflicts with other (non-IBM) JITs.
The next release with corrected byte-code optimization (that will not conflict with IBM JIT) will be released in September.
Regards,