Bad Performance

Hello,

the performance when converting pptx to jpeg or extracting texts is not good.

We created a ticket in test phase. Yesterday we bought Aspose.Slides for Java. I need to wait about 30 sec when creating thumbs of a 600 KB file with about 10 Slides.

I need 10 Sec for extracting texts.

Now I need it faster because our application starts rolling out the next days.

Thank you for your advice in advance!

Kind Regards,
Dirk Münker

Hi Dirk,

Thank you for your interest in Aspose.Slides.

I have observed your comments and like to share with you that Aspose.Slides for Java takes time because of Java restrictions and Document Object Model (DOM) of Aspose.Slides is loaded into memory. For fast text extraction, new static method getPresentationText has been added to Presentation class. Please visit this documentation article for more details about it.

I hope this will be helpful. Please share if I may help you further in this regard.

Best Regards,

Hello Adnan,

thank you for your response. I understand that there are language specific problems. But in my understanding Java is not a slow language. At the moment the performance is about 3 times slower than e.g. in .NET. XML-Parsing should be possible in a very fast way…

Powerpoint itself can do it a lot faster. So how can I solve this problem? 30 sec for the previews is not usable for us.

I would be very happy to get a solution or a advice.

Thank you and kind Regarsd,
Dirk Münker

Hello,

is it possible to have a skype-call? I’m not sure if I’m doing something completly wrong.
Possibly you could have a look on my code (it is not much).

Kind Regards,
Dirk Münker

Hi Dirk Münker,

I have observed the comments related to performance from your end. I agree that performance of Aspose.Slides for Java is bit slower than Aspose.Slides for .NET. It is so as Aspose.Slides for Java is autoported from Aspose.Slides for .NET. Moreover, improving API performance is a continual process and we have significant improvement in terms of performance in Aspose.Slides for Java 16.2.0 as compared to its predecessor versions. We are striving to improve this further as well in upcoming versions.

For your case, I request you to please share the source presentation, working sample code, Java details on your end, Operating System specifications and machine specifications on your end. Please also provide the statistics that you have achieved on your end for comparison and I will share the findings with our product team to investigate the issue further.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

thank you for your response and your help!
Attached you’ll anything you need.
You can use the PHP-File to handle the cli.

The Performance-Leak appears with each Presentatation I use.
At the moment I’m working with Vagrant (VM: Ubuntu on Windows)
I made my tests on a dev-server (Debian - 2 cores).
The performance is pretty similar.

Depending on the sice of the slide I have arround
30 sec per 10 Slide for “SlidesExtract” (please see cli).
5 sec per 10 Slides for "SlidesTextExtract"

Is that what you need? Please let me know. I need the imrovement
here, and I’m not sure if I have done something wrong. My main-language is php.

Kind Regards,
Dirk

Please have a look at attached Excel-File.

Hi Dirk,

I have observed the information shared by you and have created an investigation ticket with ID SLIDESJAVA-35332 in our issue tracking system to further investigate the performance related issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the feedback will be shared by our product team.

Many Thanks,

Hi Dirk Münker,

Can you please provide the source presentation that you have tested on your end that we may use on our end. Please share the requested information so that we may proceed further with investigation on our end.

Many Thanks,

Hello Mudassir,

yes. I can send you our own presentations. The most others are customers presentations.

I’d like to send you brandbox_v14.pptx This file takes about 5 minutes. It’s size is about 40 MB, so I cannot upload here. The second file TestFonts.pptx takes 30 sec.

In both cases we extract texts, take save thumbs and split in single files.

Kind Regards,
Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Thank you for sharing the feedback with us. I have observed that you are using 40 MB presentation that you are unable to attach in this thread. First of all 40 MB presentation is substantially bigger presentation for rendering. Moreover, Aspose allows to share the presentation up to 20 Mb in thread. I request you to please upload the presentation in dropbox or some FTP server and share the download link with us that we may test on our end to verify the issue. I will really appreciate your cooperation in this regard.

Many Thanks,

Hello Mudassir,

thank you. Only for explanation. The problem doesn’t depend on the size of the presentation.
The performance-leaks are linear. I reduced the size to about 50 slides now. The performance is the same (for those 50 slides). This file should take about 1,45 - 2 minutes now.

Please see attachment.

Kind Regards,
Dirk Münker

Hi Dirk Münker,

I have observed the new presentation file and comments shared by you. I have linked the shared information in our issue tracking system for our product team review and will share the good news with you as soon as the issue will be fixed.

Many Thanks,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-35332) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.