"Evaluation Copy" message with valid license

Hi,

Recently some of our production sites has noticed the “Evaluation copy” message on converted PDF documents using Aspose.Words 10.1.1.0.

The conversions are being made on our webservice. Here is the function that being called from Global.asax to load the license:

/// 
/// Performs Aspose's licence load. (with the file Aspose.Words.lic)
/// 
/// If the licence load has succeded, return true, if not, false.
public bool performAsposeLicenceLoad()
{
    //setting the licence of Aspose.
    //this code should not stop the application from running even if it raise exception.
    try
    {
        Aspose.Words.License license = new Aspose.Words.License();
        license.SetLicense("Aspose.Words.lic");
    }
    catch // should never happend, because report will have big red line of evaluation now.
    {
        return false;
    }
    return true;
}

I have a few problems with detecting why the problem happens.

1. I current don’t know if the License load function (provided above) succeded or not. Therefore, I have no license load exception to provide.
  2. The problem is very sporadic. If they recycle the webservice it will most likely resolve the issue.

I looked over the Aspose’s forums and couldn’t find the answer. Anyway, I hope you are already familiar with this issue and know how to handle it.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Lidan.

Hi Lidan,

Thanks for your inquiry.

First of all, I would like to mention a few points here:

• Make sure your call to SetLicense gets executed. Step through in the debugger.
  • Make sure your code does not catch an exception thrown by Aspose.Words licensing code. For example, Aspose.Words will throw if it cannot find the license.
  • Make sure the input documents do not already have the evaluation message. Aspose.Words does not delete existing evaluation messages.
  • Make sure SetLicense is executed before you instantiate any Document object.

Lidan:
I current don’t know if the License load function (provided above) succeded or not. Therefore, I have no license load exception to provide.

There is no built-in method to check whether the license is already applied or not. However, if you want to be sure, you can try creating your own custom method to do this job. To do this you could create a blank document and export this to a stream. Then reload this and check the first paragraph in the body for the evaluation message.

Secondly, there is no need to set license for each and every document separately. The license only needs to be set once per application domain. For more information, please read the following articles:
https://docs.aspose.com/words/java/licensing/

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

Since your answer I’ve implemented my code to fit your requirements.
I’ve added a new logs to the Aspose license load code, that tells me if an exception was thrown, or the Aspose license was loaded successfully (not exception was raised).

As you can probably assume, all of the logs indicated that the license was loaded successfully. Therefore, no exceptions were thrown by Aspose license load code.

While the Aspose license was loaded successfully, we received the “Evaluation” message in the top of the converted PDF document.
If we restart the webservices and convert the same document again, it will convert it without the “Evaluation” message.

Needless to say that the source document has no “Evaluation” message in it (Actually, it was saved by Microsoft’s Word).

This is happening on our production sites, we must receive a feedback for this issue ASAP!

Thanks,
Lidan Hackmon.

Hi Lidan,

Thanks for your inquiry and sorry for the delayed response. Could you please try using the latest version of Aspose.Words i.e. 11.6.0 on your side and let us know how it goes on your side? You can download it from the following link:
https://releases.aspose.com/words/net

Moreover, you need to set a license before performing any operations with documents. Please make sure your call to performAsposeLicenceLoad is executed before you create a Document object.

Best Regards,

Hi Awais,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I can’t check if it works under the latest version of Aspose. My Aspose license is good for V10.X. (I can’t run any V11 version…).

As I mentioned before, the function performAsposeLicenseLoad is being called from the Global.asax file. When a webservices is loaded, the first function that being called is the application_load in Global.asax.

I really need your help ASAP - this issue was raised from a few production sites!

Thanks,
Lidan.

Hi again Awais,

I have some additional information…I heard the following scenario more our production sites a few times, it may be helpful.

They say that whenever they get the Evaluation message, they restart the webservice and it does not always fix the problem.
To fix the problem, what they do is copy the same Aspose DLL and license file to the webservice dir and overriding the existing files (with the same files from a different location).

They say that whenever they do that, the next time the webservice will load, it will load the license properly for 100% and they won’t see the Evaluation message.

Again, I need your help on this issue ASAP!

Thanks,
Lidan.

Hi Lidan,

Thanks for your inquiry. Could you please create and attach here a simple ASP.NET application that enables me to reproduce this same issue on my side? I will investigate the issue further and provide you more information.

Best Regards,

Hi Awais,

I’m unable to provide such project as you requested.
The problem is reproduced only on production environment.
We can’t reproduce this issue on our development environment

Can you please look for any previous cases other customers has opened?

Thanks,
Lidan.

Hi
Lidan,

Thanks for the additional information. Please post your license file, that you’re using in your production environment, via mail to us. I will investigate the issue on my side and provide you more information. Moreover, in order to post your license file to us please follow the instructions provided in the following link:
https://forum.aspose.com/t/aspose-words-faq/2711

Best Regards,

Hi Awais,

Thanks for your reply.
I’ve attached the Aspose license via mail as you requested.

Thanks,
Lidan.

Hi Lidan,

Thanks for sending your license file to me via email. Unfortunately, I was still unable to reproduce this issue on my side. The subscription included in your license allows you free upgrades until 09 Feb 2012. I would suggest you please upgrade to Aspose.Words v11.0.0 and let us know how it goes on your side. This is because previously another customer has reported a similar issue where no exception was being thrown and evaluation marker was being rendered in PDF. That issue was fixed in Aspose.Words v10.8.0. I hope, the same fix will work in your case.

Best Regards,

Hi Awais,

Thanks for your response.

I took you advice and compiled a new version of my application to our productions sites that works with Aspose V11.0.0 (Higher than V10.8 which fixed this bug).
So far, it seems to be working well! No “Evaluation” message at all what so ever.

Thank you for your support. I will let know if anything changes.

Lidan.

Hi
Lidan,

Thanks for your feedback. It is perfect that you managed to resolve the problem on your side. Please let us know any time you have any further queries.

Best Regards,