How to set the default Edit mode in IE

Hi, all:

I’m working with gridwebdemo of Aspose.Cells for Java 8.2.1, and when I use IE(IE11 or IE8). the cells in the grid behave like this:
1. mouse clicks a cell, and the cell gets focus; but if you try to key in some value, it doesn’t work, no letters or numbers will be put into the cell;
2. you have to double click the cell, and when the cursor appears in the cell, you can now key in letters or numbers;
3. after you finish typing letters, click some other cell, the focus on the cell moves to the other cell, and the new active cell still remains uneditable, you have to double click it and wait for the cursor to appear again.
That’s quite uncomfortable.

But if you work with Chrome, when a cell gets focus, and you can immediately type some letters into it, without double clicking and waiting for the cursor; and when you finish typing, press Enter key, the focus cell changes to the next cell, and it is just the same way that Excel works.
Can anyone tell me how to make it work the same with IE as it works with Chrome?
Thanks a lot!

Strange things are still happening: I tried several times, and these times I got these :

1. after mouse clicked, the clicked cell got focus; and then I typed and the letters were put into the cell;
2. then I press the Enter key, the cell switched from edit mode to “normal mode”; and when I tried move the focus via arrow key, it wouldn’t move! So I had to click the next cell with mouse.

I am so confused… Is there something that controls the worksheet’s edit behavior?

Hi,

Thanks for providing us some details.

Well, I am afraid, currently, Aspose.Cells.GridWeb does not work very well in IE10/11 browser types, so you are getting this issue. You got to use Compatibility mode (e.g IE9.0) in your JSP header i.e., “” to work with the control same as Google chrome.

I have also attached the latest version/ fix: Aspose.Cells.GridWeb for JAVA v8.2.2.1 (attached), please try it. Also refer to the featured demos in the archive and deploy the demos (updated in the attached zipped archive) on the server to evaluate the component for different features on your end.

Thank you.

Thank you so much for the advice, Amjad.
I’ll try asap, thanks again!

Hi Amjad:

I tried with the version 8.2.2.1, the edit mode problem had disappeared, that is great! thank you !

Hi,

Good to know that if figures out your issue now. Feel free to write back in case you need further assistance or have some other issue or queries, we will be happy to assist you soon.

Thank you.

It is very very strange that when I rebooted my computer, and it didn’t work again(that means: when you click a cell, the cell gets focus, but you cannot key in any letters; and only after you double click the cell and the cursor appears, you can then key in letter).

And then I did:
1. rebooted my computer;
2. redeployed gridwebdemo.war on tomcat7;
3. browsed the demo jsps via IE11.
4. it failed to work again.
5. I modified the header.jsp, change “IE=EmulateIE9” to “IE=EmulateIE8” or “IE=EmulateIE7”, it still refused to work.

I am so upset… please help…

And one more question: when I key in a cell, and then press the Enter key, why it adds a new line in the cell, and not ends the edit mode(as MSExcel will do)? Can I do some setting and make it behave as the MSExcel does?

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for your posting and using Aspose.Cells for GridWeb.

Please also try it in some other browsers like FireFox and see how it runs.

Please note, when you just click the cell (do not double click it), then type some letters, it will add those letters in a cell and when you will press Enter, it will move to next cell. This behavior is like MS-Excel.

However, when you double click the cell and add some letters and then press Enter, it will not move to next cell but it will remain in that cell and add new line inside the cell instead of moving to next cell.

Hi mshakeel.faiz,

Thanks for replying.
I tried it in Chrome and Firefox, and it did behave as you described:
1. click one cell, and you can type some letters, and then press Enter, it moves to the next cell;
2.double click one cell, and you type some letters, and then press Enter, it adds a new line.
It works quite well in Chrome and Firefox.
But when I try it in IE11 and IE8, it just behaves as this:
1.click one cell, and the cell gets focus; but you can not type in any letter;
2.click the cell again, and the cursor appears, and then you can type some letters; and press Enter, it adds a new line.
It makes me feel quite uncomfortable, and all I want is: it does the same in IE as in Chrome/Firefox.

Most of our clients are using IE, so I have to be sure that it can work properly on IE.
Please help me out, thanks again.

Hi Arnold,

I have tested this issue in Internet Explorer and found that Edit/ReadOnly Mode demo is not working fine in Internet Explorer. In FireFox, it works fine.

When user clicks the cell and tries to enter data inside the cell, nothing happens. But when user double clicks it, then he is able to input the data.

It should work same as in FireFox, user must be able to focus the cell with single clicking and entering data and on pressing tab or enter, it should move to next cell. But this is not happening in IE.

We have logged this issue in our database for investigation. We will look into it and fix this issue. Once, the issue is resolved or we have some other update for you, we will let you know asap.

This issue has been logged as

• CELLSJAVA-41063 - Focusing cell with single clicking and entering data is not working in IE

I have also attached the screenshot of the demo for a reference.

Hi Shakeel Faiz,
Thank you for logging the issue, and my team is waiting for the update eagerly.
Thanks again!

Hi Arnold,

We have looked into this issue further.

With IE=EmulateIE9, it works perfectly fine in IE 11.

But with IE=EmulateIE8, it does not work.

Please note that there are two head.jsp files. One is inside the root directory and other is inside /pages directory. I have attached both of them for your reference.

You do not need to modify the head.jsp inside the /pages directory. Only modify the root directory jsp file.

If you open the head.jsp file inside the root directory, you will see IE=EmulateIE9 line is already added there. You will see these lines inside it.

<%
String path = request.getContextPath();
String basePath = request.getScheme()+"://"+request.getServerName()+":"+request.getServerPort()+path+"/";
%>

<script type=“text/javascript” language=“javascript”
src=“grid/acw_client/acwmain.js”>
src=“grid/acw_client/lang_en.js”>

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for using Aspose.Cells for GridWeb.

For IE support:
GridWeb works fine in IE9.

In the head.jsp of the demo project we have added the IE compatible tag
line:

Actually if user uses IE10 or above version we shall add this compatible
tag line as it can make a compatible document mode to render as IE9.

If user uses IE9, the compatible line is not needed, as it is already IE9 as expected.

If user uses IE8 or previous version, the compatible mode will not take effect and in IE8 it works not corretly as expected now. We will investigate it .

Hi mshakeel.faiz,

I’ve triedl, but it won’t work with your head.jsp.
I saw the “IE=EmulateIE9” in the source code in IE:

src=“grid/acw_client/acwmain.js”>

It still refused to work, I’m so desperate…

Here is the version of My IE:
Version: 11.0.9600.17358
update: 11.0.13 (KB2987107)
product id: 00150-20000-00003-AA459

Hi Arnold,

It is strange. I tried on a similar version and it worked great without any issue. I have attached the screenshot showing the version of my Internet Explorer. I tested it on Windows 7 - 64 bit.

However, we have found issue in IE 8 which needs to be fixed. Probably, fixing this will also fix your issue.

Could you please test the demos on some other machines with Internet Explorer?

Could you please try on Tomcat 7 with the original head.jsp not the modified one because you have modified the path to

Let it calculate the path by the code inside the head.jsp.

This issue might be related to Tomcat 6.

Also, let us know your OS and Tomcat version. We will investigate this issue and help you asap.

Hi mshakeel.faiz,

Thanks for replying.
I used both Tomcat7 and Tomcat6(I modified some java files for Tomcat6 to make it work), and it didn’t work with IE11 on Tomcat7 and Tomcat6.
And just a few minutes ago, I tried it with IE9, it worked both in Tomcat7 and Tomcat6!
And then, the questions left are: why it doen’t work on IE11? the “IE=EmulateIE9” is added in head.jsp(I just copied and pasted the files you attached without modifying).
Perhaps when you fix the issue in IE8, the issue in IE11 will be fixed too.

My OS are : Windows 7 Professional 32bit, Service Pack 1; Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. Both are Simplified Chinese version.
Hope the information may be some help. Thanks again.

Hi mshakeel.faiz,

Thanks for replying.
I used both Tomcat7 and Tomcat6 (I modified some java files for Tomcat6 to make it work), and it didn’t work with IE11 on Tomcat7 and Tomcat6.
And just a few minutes ago, I tried it with IE9, and it worked both in Tomcat7 and Tomcat6! I am so sorry that I should have tried it in IE9, and maybe you could save much time.

And then, the question is: why it doesn’t work on IE11? the “IE=EmulateIE9” is added in head.jsp(I just copied and pasted the files you attached without modifying).
Perhaps when you fix the issue in IE8, the issue in IE11 will be fixed too.

My OS are : Windows 7 Professional 32 bit, Service Pack 1; Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. Both are Simplified Chinese version.
Hope the information may be some help. Thanks again.

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for your testing and feedback and using Aspose.Cells for GridWeb.

We think, this issue is related with IE8. Hopefully, this issue will also be fixed once we will fix the issue of IE8.

Once, there is some good news for you, we will let you know asap.

Hi,

Please try our latest version/fix: Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v8.2.2.2 for JAVA (attached), we have fixed your issue now.

Let us know your feedback.

Thank you.

Hi Amjad Sahi,

I updated the web application with the file you attached, but the problem with IE11 still remained (and it still worked fine in Chrome).

I attach the web application I’m using, please check it up to find out if I’ve updated correctly.
Thanks a lot!