Method not found error: Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.Report.get_ReportSections()

Hi,

Could not make Aspose.Slides work for my reporting services installation and I’m wondering if applying recent CUs are the cause of this. Trying to export in any slide format results in the following message (Aspose.Slides for RS v3.8, SQL Server 2008 v10.0.4000):

Stack Trace:
[Exception: Method not found: ‘Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.ReportSectionCollection Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.Report.get_ReportSections()’.]

[Exception: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]

[Exception: An error occurred during rendering of the report.]

[Exception: An error occurred during rendering of the report.]
Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.ServerUrlRequest(Boolean isAbortable, String url, Stream outputStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension) +520
Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.InternalRender(Boolean isAbortable, String format, String deviceInfo, NameValueCollection urlAccessParameters, Stream reportStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension) +963
Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.Render(String format, String deviceInfo, NameValueCollection urlAccessParameters, Stream reportStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension) +28
Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerModeSession.RenderReport(String format, Boolean allowInternalRenderers, String deviceInfo, NameValueCollection additionalParams, Boolean cacheSecondaryStreamsForHtml, String& mimeType, String& fileExtension) +85
Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ExportOperation.PerformOperation(NameValueCollection urlQuery, HttpResponse response) +150
Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +183
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +181
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

Thanks,
Sinan

Hi Sinan,

Thanks for your interest in Aspose.Slides.

I have observed the stack trace shared by you. However, in order to further investigate and resolve the issue, I may request you to please share the source RDL file along with dataset. Please use the AdventureWorks as your data source, so that we may try rendering reports on our end.

Thanks and Regards,

Hi Mudassi,

Actually even empty report file generates the same error. I’ve attached a sample report definition prepared by Report Builder 2.0 (v10.0.4000) with no content and no data and causes the same error message (please note that I’m not using RTM version of Reporting Services, applied some post SP2 CUs before)

Thanks in advance,
Sinan Guven

Hi Sinan,

I have worked with the shared RDL file and it exported to PPT successfully. I am using SQL Server 2008 SP2 version 10.0.3798.0 on my end. Can you please share the exact commutative updates and service packs that you have installed on your machine. Please also share that if you area using SQL Server 2008 R2 or not. My initial observation is that there may be some issue with CU. You may rollback to verify the fact for instance as well. Once you will share the list of CU and SP, I will upgrade my SQL server and verify the fact. You may try un-installing Aspose.Slides for RS 3.8.0 and then installing Aspose.Slides for RS 3.9.0 as well.

Thanks and Regards,

Hi Mudassir,

First let me say I’ve installed v3.9 with the link you supplied and the error message persists. As for SQL Server version, I’m not using R2 (although it’s installed as a named instance). As your suggestion I’ve checked my version and realized that I’ve already rolledback all CUs I’ve installed and my SQL Server 2008 installation version is SP2 (v10.00.4000). You can see the list of post SP2 CUs from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2402659 (I want to be able to apply post SP2 CUs, they contains many fixes we need).

As for your version (10.0.3798.0), it’s reported as SP2 - CTP not released version of SP2. You can download SP2 from this link and then hopefully your version should be exactly as mine (10.00.4000).

Regards,
Sinan Guven

Hi Sinan,

I have downloaded the mentioned SP2 for SQL Server 2008 and upgraded my SQL Server to the one you are using. I have been successfully able to export to PPT/PPTX with no issue. For your kind reference, I have also attached the generated presentation and image of the SQL Server and Report. I suggest that you may confirm the things on your end please once more. Please try un-installing and then re-installing the product just for assurance. I am using Windows XP x86 on VmWare for testing on my end.

Thanks and Regards,

Hi Mudassir,

It’s great that you sent the pictures. I see that you’re using BIDS and it also works with BIDS in my setup (I usually don’t use it). But with everthing else, it fails. I tried Report Manager, Report Builder and SOAP API calls. You can easily connect to your local report server with Report Manager with the link http://localhost/Reports/ and export to PPT from there and I think you’ll see the error I post.

Thanks again,
Sinan Guven

Hi Sinan,

I have also tried exporting presentation from report server itself and have also been able to export that successfully. For your kind reference, I have also attached the print screen of the scenario. I feel there may be some other issue that might be cause of the issue. In my humble suggestion, can you please try installing the similar setup on some other machine to verify the fact? If you still face any issue, then I shall consult with our development team for this.

Thanks and Regards,

Wow, I was really sure this time. OK, it’s time for me to set up a new test installation to get to bottom of this. I’ll get back to you then.

Thanks again,
Sinan Guven

Hi Mudassir,

I’m still setting up a test machine to see the if there is something wrong with the SQL Server installation but while doing that, I did check the error message and see that ReportSections collection in Report class exists only on SQL 2008 R2 version, not in SQL Server 2008. As I said before, I have R2 installed as a named instance and all its services are stopped. Is is possible that some code in Aspose Slides for RS (or the installation app) is under the impression that because there is an R2 installation, it’s running under one?

Regards,
Sinana Guven

Hi Mudassir,

I’ve finally reproduced the issue on a clean setup. It’s just as I wrote in my previous post. If the machine has single installation of RS 2008, Aspose Slides works without an error. If you install named instance of RS 2008 R2, you cannot use Aspose Slides for RS 2008 installation but it works for RS 2008 R2 installation. In short, it seems Aspode Slides works according to highest version of installed RS instead of which version of RS it’s running under.

Hope it helps,
Sinan Guven

Hi Sinon,

I am glad that things finally worked for you. I am also thankful to you for sharing the added piece of information about multiple Aspose.Slides for RS behavior on multiple instances of SQL Server. Just a quick check if you perform. I am not sure but it may work for you. Try Installing Aspose.Slides for RS manually. I agree that MSI installer may sense for the latest available instance of SQL Server. However, the in manual installation you have options to configure manually. Hopefully, things may work for you. Please download Aspose.Slides for Reporting Service 3.9.0 from here and perform the steps mentioned in manual installation page.

Thanks and Regards,

Hi Mudassir,

I don’t think manual installation will work because in my test, after I installed RS 2008 R2, Aspose.Slides was broken in RS 2008 (before any Aspode.Slides uninstall-install cycle). Meaning, when I installed Aspose.Slides, there was no RS 2008 R2. Then I installed RS 2008 R2 and at this point Aspose.Slides in RS 2008 was not working anymore. That’s why I don’t think this is an installation issue.

Regards,
Sinan Guven

Hi Sinan,

Thanks for elaborative explanation. I agree with your stance for this.

Best Regards,