Embedded OLE objects in Power point presentation

I need to Embed , word documnets , PDF's , Excel documents in a powerpoint presentation.

When the user double clicks on the object it should launch a new isnatnce of the object in a seperate window.

The OleObjectFrame functionality does not appear to provide this functionality.

Do you have another Object that I could use to directly embedd an OLE object into the presentation?

regards

Chris

I have found this link on your ASPOSE.Cells forum where a new display as icon functionality has been added to this aspose componet.

Has this change been carried forward into your aspose slides product.

When manually creating a power point presentation, and inserting an OLE object, I click on display as icon to get the desired effect, of the excel or word document opening in there own instance of excel or word

<A href="https://forum.aspose.com/t/72733</A></P> <P>regards</P> <P>Chris</P>

Another Question around embedding OLE objects with aspose slides in this case PDF's

I receive the following error message trying to access a PDF file I have embedded in a power point presentation

The Error message is

"The server application, source file, or item can't be found, or returned an unknown error. You may need to reinstall the server application."

according to this thread I found, aspose.slides does not support the embedding of PDF documnets due to

PDF stored inside presentation as OLE1 Native object and addOleObjectFrame doesn't work in this case.

Is this still the case or has it been fixed?

<A href="https://forum.aspose.com/t/102183</A></P> <P> </P>

Embedding POT Files in power point using Aspose.Slides.

I have embbeded a POT file in powerpoint, in doing so I noticed that there is no OLEObjectTypes for powerpoint templates. I tried both power point and the unknown OLEObjectTypes with the same result.

The result is that the user will open the powerpoint presentation and double click on the image this will then open the POT file as a slide show.

On Double clicking on the image a 2nd time the POT file will load correctly in another instance of powerpoint, with the small problem of the back ground of the slides being white when they should be grey.

The background colour of the slides may be inherited from the master slides though I have disabled this property.

My may concern is that power point treats the embedded POT as a presentation intially.

regards
Chris

Another Problem

I have found a setting for the oleObjectFrame called ObjectIsIcon when I set this to true I get the behaviour I want for word and xsl documents that is they launch in a new window.

I have the "object change" slide initially but once I launch the files it goes aware but the Icon for word documents does not appear only the word document printed in small font in the middle of the page.

It is even worse for Excel, there is no image imbedded just the outline of a white image that if you double click will re-launch the excel document. I think there is a problem in the way your dll links the image to be used in embeded OLE objects with icons and the way it interacts with power point. Failing that you have not added the icons to your dlls resources.

Please can you investigate this.

I used your sample code for embedding OLE objects and used a word or excel document and set

oof.ObjectIsIcon = true;

oof.ObjectType = OleObjectType.MicrosoftExcel;

after

OleObjectFrame oof = slide.Shapes.AddOleObjectFrame(1500, 1100, iWidth,

iHeight, "Excel.Sheet.12", b);

Hi Peter(if i am not wrong),

Regarding 205053:
There is no other object to embed an Ole Object:
Regarding 205071:
As you found, there is ObjectIsIcon property for OleObjectFrame.
Regarding 205074:
An issue has been created for PDF as Ole Object with issue id 11415.
Our development team will look into this matter and you will be informed accordingly.
Regarding 205079 :
There is an issue of Embedded Ole Object Resizing, that is probably causing the problem.
I am not sure about it, however, the Ole Object resizing is issue is going to be fixed in the next relase.

msabir

I noticed on your upadate that you had left off one one the querys in this thread

205081 no icon showing for embeded with icon excel and word documnets ?

you mention that a resizing issue may be causing the below issue, not sure that resizing has anything to do with it as, on first click it loads as a slide show instead of a new instance of powerpoint showing the template files

205079 No object type for POT file extenstions. embedded POT files load as a slideshow on first click 2nd click loads the template info into powerpoint.

All these issues are very urgent as we are trying to release a product for a large investment bank and these problems are effecting the functionality that they require

regards

chris

Msabir

I noticed that the following post was not included in your action list

205081 no icon showing for embeded with icon excel and word documnets?

I an not sure how your reference to resizing as causing the below issue can be correct, as it loads a slide show instead of a powerpoint isntance showing the template details

205079 No object type for POT file extenstions. embedded POT files load as a slideshow on first click 2nd click loads the template info into powerpoint

All of the issues logged in this thread around embedded files are urgent as we are trying to release a product for a large investment bank.

regards

chris

Hi Chris,

I have investigated your issues with the help of product development team lead with the following findings:

1) Ref 205079:

Set the ObjectProgId property of the OleObjectFrame object to "PowerPoint.Show.8" if using Power Point 2003 and the POT embedded as OLE will work fine.

2) Ref 205081:

Aspose.Slides doesn't add icons at all because we can't create icons for any possible applications which can be embedded to a slide. The issue needs investigation.

Thank you for your quick feedback.

The fix to launch the POT file launching as powerpoint and not slide show worked.

oof.ObjectProgId = "PowerPoint.Show.8";

My embedded POT file has slides that have a grey bacground, when they launch they show a white background the same as the powerpoint presentation they are embedded in, is there a way I can correct this.

Thank you for investingating the icon issue, it is really strange if the file is an embedded POT file it will show a powerpoint icon correctly. if it is a work doc it will only show the text documnet and no icon and if it is excel it will show a white image place holder instead of the icon.

regards

chris

Muhammad

Have you made anymore progress on the following issues?

205081 no icon showing for embeded with icon excel and word documnets

205074 PDf files not accessable after being embeded are PDF files supported as embeded files?
Are PDFs supported as an old forumn link in 2008 suggested there was an issue writing PDF files as they are OLE1

205074 POT background colour not showing when opening the embeded POT

regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

1) For icon problem, an issue with issue id 11489 and for POT background problem, the issue # is 11490. Definitely, it will take time to investigate. I tried a workaround for POT background problem through streams, but streams are broken.

2) Regarding PDF files, there are many issues as it belongs to OLE1 objects. I have already mentioned about the issue created. I tried the possibility of replacing existing PDF with new PDF with no success.

3) I can't give you the time frame for these issues right now as it needs consultation with product development team, however, once issues are created, they are investigated in details and findings are communicated.

Muhammad

Thank you for the feedback

Muhammad,

In your last post you where waiting to consult with your developers about possible solutions to the list of issues I raised.

Have your developers come back to your with any idea of the what the work would involve and the time scales involved to make the changes?

regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

I shall update you on Monday.

Morning Muhammad

Have you you had any feedback from your developers about these issues

205081 no icon showing for embeded with icon excel and word documnets

205074 PDf files not accessable after being embeded are PDF files supported as embeded files?
Are PDFs supported as an old forumn link in 2008 suggested there was an issue writing PDF files as they are OLE1

205074 POT background colour not showing when opening the embeded POT

regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Good Morning (However its evening on my end)..

Well,

1) 205081: Icon issue - This will be fixed in the upcoming version of Aspose.Slides for .NET. However, as a workaround, we can define ObjectProgId for an OleObjectFrame that will work in most cases. For example, for word docs (*.doc), we can define it as follows:

OleObjectFrame oof = slide.Shapes.AddOleObjectFrame(0, 0, 1000, 1000, "Word.Document.8", bytes);
oof.ObjectProgId = "Word.Document.8";
oof.ObjectIsIcon = true;

2) 205074 : POT Background - Please provide the POT and PPT (where POT has been embedded as OLE) for investigation.

3) PDF Files : It will take a longer time as there are many other pending issues.

Hi Muhammad

I thought you guys where based in the states. What time zone are you in?

Please find a link to a private thread where i submited the POT test files and code you requested

http://www.aspose.com/community/forums/206797/embedded-ole-objects-in-power-point-presentation-private-thread/showthread.aspx#206797

What is the release date for the new aspose slides.net that will have the icon fix in?

For the interim, what are the oof.ObjectProgId for excel, and power point?

Please can you keep me updated on the embeded PDF issue.

I imagine a large number of your customers would need to embed PDF files into there presentations. We are finding this is a key requirement

regards

Chris

Hi Muhammad

I tested the oof.ObjectProgId ="Word.Document.8";

This did nothing to improve the lack of an icon being desplayed when a word documnet is embeded.

When the user opens the word documnet 3 times on the page, now icon is shown just tiny word of documnet.

regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

We are in time zone UTC/GMT+5.

1) The next release is expected this or the next weekend and it will be fixed then.

2) PDF issue is not expected to be resolved at least in this release. I shall update you as soon as there is some progress on this issue.