Aspose incorrectly determines file format

Hi,

I noticed that Aspose.Cell incorrectly detects file type. Please see following tables:

CellsHelper.DetectFileFormat wb.FileFormat
Xls Excel97To2003 Excel97To2003
Xlt Excel97To2003 Excel97To2003
Xlsm Xlsm Xlsm
Xlsx Xlsx Xlsx
Xlsb Xlsb Xlsb
Xltm Xltm Xlsm
Xltx Xltx Xlsx

Password Protected

CellsHelper.DetectFileFormat wb.FileFormat
Xls Excel97To2003 Excel97To2003
Xlt Excel97To2003 Excel97To2003
Xlsm Xlsx Xlsm
Xlsx Xlsx Xlsx
Xlsb Xlsb Xlsb
Xltm Xlsx Xlsm
Xltx Xlsx Xlsx

Highlighted cells show discrepancy.

About XLT format, it shows that this is the same “Excel97To2003” format that look like “correct”, but Aspose.Word can detect where is doc file, and where is dot file. Is it possible to have new value in enum for XLT files, smth like Excel97To2003Template?

If you need sample document - please let me know. But I’ve checked several times - it is not document related issue.

Many Thanks,

Alex Shloma

Hi,

Well, the XLT is Excel 97-2003 template file, so apparently Excel97To2003 as detected file format is correct. Anyways, we will check if we can support more enum members for your desired needs.
e.g
1) Xlt --> Excel97To2003 — It should be fine as Excel97To2003 covers all the file types including XLS, XLT etc. Anyways, we will check if we can support more specific file format type for XLT.
2) Xlsm,Xltm, Xltx (Password protected) --> Xlsx — We will check if we can return the corresponding file format types although XLSM, XLTX, XLTM all are approx. same as per XLSX.

I have logged a ticket with an id “CELLSNET-41454” for your issue. Our concerned developer will check it soon if we can enhance it more.

Thank you.

Many thanks!

Alex Shloma

Hi,

Want to prove that new type “Excel97To2003Template” is really needed. I have a logic, that need convert office2003 document to 2007 format, and after some actions back to office2003. So when I have xlt file, then I convert it to xltm and back to original - “Excel97To2003”. File extension is xlt, but Excel shows following message.

Many thanks,
Alex Shloma

Hi,

Thanks for providing us further details and screen shot.

We have logged it against your existing issue “CELLSNET-41454”.

Also, could you give us your template files and sample code to reproduce the issues on our end. We will log it to attach with your issue which will help us to investigate and look into your issue more accurately.

Thank you.

Here is sample code. Documents attached.

//open XLT file

Aspose.Cells.Workbook wb = new Workbook("xlt.xlt");

//convert it to XLSM

wb.Save("xlt.xlt.xlsm", SaveFormat.Xlsm);

//Convert XLSM file back to XLT

wb = new Workbook("xlt.xlt.xlsm");

//....... do some work here with XLSM file

//Convert XLSM file back to XLT

wb.Save("xlt.xlt.xlsm.xlt", SaveFormat.Excel97To2003);

Thanks,

Alex Shloma

Hi,

Thanks for the project.

Yes, you are right. There is an issue with the regenerated XLT file as you have mentioned. I got an error in MS Excel when opening the final generated XLT file from intermediate XLSM file.

I have logged it with your existing issue “CELLSNET-41454” for your case.

We will look into it as well.

Thank you.

Hi Alex,

This is to update you that we have resolved the ticket logged earlier as CELLSNET-41454. We will shortly share the fix here after ensuring the quality and incorporating other enhancements.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSNET-41454) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.