A few pre-sales questions

Hi

I noticed that a posting titled “[Aspose.Words crashes remoting windows service ](https://forum.aspose.com/t/122850)” is locked. Since I plan to develop a Windows remoting service that uses Aspose.Words, are there any issues preventing me from doing this?

I also have a few more questions that I could not find answers right away and was wondering if it is possible to:

1. Check the document for macros, date macros
  2. Check the document for versions
    3.Check if document can be printed.
  3. Verify if the document has a .doc extension that it is indeed a Word document.

Thanks
Arun

Thank you for your interest in Aspose.Words.

Some threads are private because the original poster chose to post privately. I'll check with out web team to see if such threads could be hidden altogether.

In that particular thread loading one corrupted document was causing stack overflow and it was crashing the application in such a way it could not recover. This happens very rarely, most of the time if Aspose.Words loads a document and sees it is invalid it throws a normal exception that you can catch and proceed.

Regarding your other questions:

1. We provide Document.RemoveMacros method that removes all VBA code from the document. Let us know if you want more functionality.

2. Versions. If you mean tracking changes (also called revisions), then there is the Document.AcceptAllRevisions method to accept any existing revisions in the document. There are also methods to detect individual insert or delete revisions, for example Run.IsInsertRevision. Let us know if you need more.

3. I'm not aware of ability to protect document against printing in Microsoft Word. Therefore no way to detect this.

4. Use Document.DetectFileFormat to detect the format of any document without opening it.

Thanks for the answers.

1) I will check on this and get back if it should take care of what I am looking for. Also is there a way to just detect if the document contains Marcos?

2) I want to just detect if the tracking/revisions is turned on.

3) Thanks. I thought so but it was a requirement and I will follow up with my team

4) I will check on this.

Do let me know if there are any issues I should be aware of or should not do in case of remoting services.

Arun

It seems that we don't yet have a public property showing if the document has any macros present. We will try to implement it in the next hotfix, which will be released in several weeks. I have logged this request to our defect base as issue #1307.

As far as I know there are no particular issues related to remoting service. Some errors are reported from users from time to time but they are usually getting fixed within a few weeks.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with and I will be more than glad to.

Best regards,

It turns out Aspose.Words has Document.HasRevisions property that returns true if at least one tracking change is in the document.

Do you want that or detect whether just the tracking changes mode is turned on for this document?

We have implemented Document.HasMacros property in Aspose.Words 4.0.1 which is now available for download.

Thanks for the update. I will download the latest version. Another question I had was:

Would I be able to delete/strip all the Custom properties (CustomDocumentProperties) of a word document (if it has any) without knowing it's name(s)?

Thanks

Arun

Dear Arun,

The answer is - surely! Just call the Document.CustomDocumentProperties.Clear method and it will delete all items from the collection of custom properties.