Accessing columns with index greater than 255

I have some large spreadsheets that expand over 255 columns. When I use:

objsheet.Cells(1,300).PutValue("X") or objSheet.Cells("ZZ10").PutValue("X")

I get an error that the column index is greater than 255. Is there any way around this?

Hi,

Thanks for considering Aspose.

Well, it is a limitation of MS Excel (65536 (0-65535 indexed) rows and 256 (0-255 indexed (A - IV)) cols), which supports this crieteria only. Currently Aspose.Cells supports BIFF8 or greater file format i.e., MS Excel 97 - MS Excel 2003. In our upcoming versions we are going to support MS Excel 2007 xlsx format in which this will not be a problem and it will be available soon.

Thank you.

Thanks for the quick response. Is there a due date for the new version of Cells?

Hi,

Well, We have planned to release a version in the mid May 2007 or at the end of May which will support Excel2007 to certain extent.

Thank you.

Hi Amjad,

Is the the version of Cells that you talked about above now available?

Thanks
Matt

Hi,

Well, we did release a version (4.3) of Aspose.Cells in the start of June (this month) which does support Excel2007Xlsx format. You may read and write Excel2007Xlsx files. But in this version we don't support to cross the limit (0-255) columns and 65536 rows. We will support this in our future versions soon.

Thank you.

Hi Amjad,

Just noticed the latest version of Cells (4.4.0.0) has been released - does this new version handle columns indexes over 255. Couldn’t see anything in the ‘whats new’ section.

Thanks

Hi,

Well, the latest version does not support handle rows more than 65k and columns more than 256. We are working on the feature. Still we have some final tasks and their testation to be implemented. Hopefully, we will release the related version in about a month's time or so.

Thanks for being patient!

Hi Amjad,

Any news on this update? Its causing us real problems and we are starting to have to use another component to handle large spreadsheets. Are there any plans to update Cells to handle columns greater than 255?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,

You are lucky enough to get in touch with us :)

We actually done it sometimes ago. Please try the attached version. The following code works fine with the attached version.

Workbook workbook =new Workbook();
Worksheet worksheet = workbook.Worksheets[0];
Cells cells = worksheet.Cells;
cells.Merge(0, 248, 1, 100);
cells[0,248].PutValue("Hello World!");
cells[1048575,16383].PutValue("Last Cell");
workbook.Save("d:\\test\\mybook.xlsx",FileFormatType.Excel2007Xlsx);

Thank you.

Hi Amjad,

Thanks for the response - the new component works perfectly.

Best regards,
Matt