We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Any downsides to use jdk16 Aspose Words vs jdk17?

Due to development environment restrictions, we can’t use jdk17 .jar during development.
My question is whether it has any advantage to use jdk17 (i.e. performance) while running the software on a JDK 7 or higher? Since jdk16 .jar would work as well on the JDK7 environment + it also works on a JDK6 environment.

If jdk17 build has advantages when used on JDK 7 or higher, I can make changes to our build structure to use jdk16 on development environment (where the server doesn’t support jdk7 module info file, causing issues with jdk17 jar) and jdk17 .jar on the production environment where JDK 7 or higher is used.

@avandenhoogen,

We are working on your query and will get back to you soon.

@avandenhoogen,

Starting from the Aspose.Words for Java 19.7 version, we are adding the jdk16 option for only those customers who want to stick to JRE 6 and cannot upgrade. However, we are planning to remove jdk16 option sometime in future. So, it is better to use the regular Aspose.Words for Java 19.11 package.

We are basically compiling the same code base to jdk16 and jdk17. So, formally they are the same. But, compilers from JDK6 and JDK7 produce slightly different byte-code. JDK7 bytecode is better: it contains some optimizations which are absent on JDK6.

So. jdk16 should be used only if you want to stick to Java 6 environment and cannot upgrade. In all other cases it is better to use jdk17. Hope, this helps.

1 Like

Oke, thanks for the clear answer.