Aspose can not convert most Koptic and Greek symbols

Aspose has a problem representing koptic and greek symbols after transforming from MS Word to PDF. The example illustrates which Symbols are affected and that they work using Adobe. Currently we cannot provide a workaround for our customers for this bug (Usergroup: Medical assessors).

Edit: Discovered while searching for a workaround:
If you open the pdf generated by aspose and copy paste any letter that could’nt be converted into a text editor, you will always see the first letter that had a problem.

Aspose Version 13.7.0.0

Hi Noel,

Thanks for your inquiry. After an initial test with Aspose.Words for Java 13.7.0, I was unable to reproduce these issues on my side. To ensure a timely and accurate response, could you please tell us the details of the development environment (e.g. OS and JDK versions) of the machine you’re getting these problems on during rendering Docx to Pdf?

Best regards,

Hi,

we are making a docx -> pdf/a conversion on a unix/solaris 10 operating system with java 7.25.

Because you mentioned operating system we made some tests on a windows 7 machine with java 7.25 and successfully converted the file. So the problem seems to be with solaris.
Solaris Version is: SunOS 5.10 Generic_148889-03 i86pc i386

Hi,

I wanted to share new information concerning this problem:
Aspose Font Settings:
Font-Settings: defaultFont = Times New Roman; FontSources: type=FontFile;path=/u01/app/oracle/admin/domains/soae_domain/fonts;recurse=false, type=SystemFonts,

First Folder contains for example times.ttf (815 KB)
path=/u01/app/oracle/admin/domains/soae_domain/fonts

Second Folder (systemsFonts) contains for example TimesNewRoman.ttf (191 KB)
patch=/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts

So clearly the system font is too small to contain the greek symbols. We thought it uses the first folder provided, but it searches first the systems folder, then our own.
If we reverse the Font-Settings above to first state the systems folder it does the exact opposite.

This is kind of strange, but there is no documentation, that the order of folders provided is also the order fonts are being searched.
Can you confirm that first the last folder is being searched?

regards,
Noel

Hi Noel,
Thanks for the additional information. By default, Aspose.Words looks for fonts installed to the standard system locations on a particular OS and you can retrieve an array of these environment-dependent font sources ( system folders that are searched by default ) by using FontSettings.GetFontsSources method. However, specifying a custom font folder by using FontSettings.SetFontsFolder method will override these default font sources and in this case only custom font folders are searched for fonts. So, in case you don’t want to use the “TimesNewRoman.ttf” font from the system folder, please explicitly specify a custom font folder using the FontSettings.SetFontsFolder method. Alternatively, you can simply copy a newer version of font from your Windows machine to “system font folder” in UNIX.

I hope, this helps.
Best regards,

Hi,

thank you very much for the help. We managed to specify the custom font folder and leave the systemsfolder as backup, if the font is not found in the custom folder.
This issue went online today within our system and is marked as resolved as of now.

regards,
Noel

Hi Noel,

Thanks for your feedback. It’s great you were able to find what you were looking for. Please let us know any time you have any further queries.

Best regards,