Aspose.Cells failed to read Excel

When reading an old excel file, Aspose.Cells threw exception:

Aspose.Cells.CellsException: This Excel files contains (Excel2.1 or earlier file
format) records.
at Aspose.Cells.Workbook.(String , LoadOptions )
at Aspose.Cells.Workbook…ctor(String file)

Hi,

For your Excel file "Microsoft Excel 2.1 Worksheet", this is older Excel file format that we do not support it, so you are getting the exception. For your information, Aspose.Cells supports BIFF8 or greater formats (Excel 97 - Excel 2010). To confirm it is "Microsoft Excel 2.1 Worksheet", you may try to open it into MS Excel 2003 and try Save it As, now you can see the save as type i.e. "Microsoft Excel 2.1 Worksheet" in the Save As dialog box.

As a workaround, you may try the following steps to work with the file for Aspose.Cells product, so that Aspose.Cells could open/process the file fine, there is no alternative I am afraid:
e.g
Open your template file into MS Excel (e.g..,Ms Excel 2003 or 2007).
Save the file As "Microsoft Office Excel Workbook".
Now you can use Aspose.Cells to open/manipulate the file for your requirements, it will work fine.

Thanks,

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Unfortunately, this is not an option. We are trying to avoid office interop / COM interface for automation purpose, that’s why we evaluate your product.

Hi,

I am afraid, in that case we cannot help you much as Aspose.Cells does not support these older file formats and only supports new formats i.e. BIFF8 and new/later formats (MS Excel 97 - 2010).

Thanks and sorry for your convinced caused!