We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Aspose.Cells Java API documentation is essentially broken

When browsing the API documentation for Aspose.Cells Java, there are two big problems that make it extremely frustrating to use:

First, why are the classes not in alphabetical order? It sometimes takes me up to a minute to locate the class I’m looking for.

Second, when attempting to use the search instead of plowing through a massive unorganized list of classes, the search is just awful. Not only does it search other categories, so I get tons of results from sections I don’t care about (e.g. Aspose.Cells for .NET, etc.), but all the links are broken! For example, I was looking for the class FileFormatType. I type ‘fileformattype’ into the search box, and what I’m looking for is in the 8th result. But if you click it, it just brings you to the header page for .NET components! So, I figure, okay, try the second result on “Opening Files”. Same issue.

Please fix this - it takes me forever to find the info I need!

Also, under the categories like Java->Aspose.Cells->Programmer’s Guide->Working with Data Formatting, I really don’t care if a feature is “Basic”, “Exhibition” (?), or “Advanced”. It adds a ton of clicks when I’m just trying to see what all the articles are, especially since your search is entirely broken. Could you please just list all the results instead of breaking them up into arbitrary and totally useless categories?

Hi Samuel,

We apologize for the inconvenience you faced. We have noted your suggestions and will try to incorporate. Thank you for mentioning the broken link issue in the online documentation. We will fix this issue as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Hi,

samuel.reed:
First, why are the classes not in alphabetical order? It sometimes takes me up to a minute to locate the class I’m looking for.

To get the alphabetical list of classes please see the “Package Summary” page:
http://www.aspose.com/documentation/java-components/aspose.cells-for-java/com/aspose/cells/package-summary.html

(To navigate to the above page, please click on the “com.aspose.cells” link in the page:
http://www.aspose.com/documentation/java-components/aspose.cells-for-java/aspose.cells-for-java-api-reference.html)

samuel.reed:
Second, when attempting to use the search instead of plowing through a massive unorganized list of classes, the search is just awful. Not only does it search other categories, so I get tons of results from sections I don’t care about (e.g. Aspose.Cells for .NET, etc.), but all the links are broken! For example, I was looking for the class FileFormatType. I type ‘fileformattype’ into the search box, and what I’m looking for is in the 8th result. But if you click it, it just brings you to the header page for .NET components! So, I figure, okay, try the second result on “Opening Files”. Same issue.

Please fix this - it takes me forever to find the info I need!

Well, actually Aspose.Cells for Java documentation was merged with Aspose.Cells for .NET in the start, now we have separated the Aspose.Cells for Java documentation from the Aspose.Cells for .NET, so, you are still getting some older broken links. I think there is a space of improvements for search module on the site. We will look into this issue and try to fix it accordingly.

samuel.reed:

Also, under the categories like Java->Aspose.Cells->Programmer’s Guide->Working with Data Formatting, I really don’t care if a feature is “Basic”, “Exhibition” (?), or “Advanced”. It adds a ton of clicks when I’m just trying to see what all the articles are, especially since your search is entirely broken. Could you please just list all the results instead of breaking them up into arbitrary and totally useless categories?

Well, some users like this existing style (nodes-sub-nodes for different category of features), although you are in the favor of deleting sub-nodes e.g “Basic”, “Advanced” etc. We will look into this matter and may eliminate the internal sub-nodes. Thanks for your suggestion anyways.

Thank you.

Hi Samuel,

Your second issue is fixed now, feel free to check it out.

If you still have some more issues regarding search module, do let us know, we will try to fix them soon.

We appreciate your cooperation in this regard.

Thank you.

Hey, I appreciate it, the search is working as it should now, which was 90% of the battle. As for the alphabetical list I was talking about, it is indeed alphabetical if you click com.aspose.cells in the RIGHT pane but it is a jumbled mess in the left.

As for the subcategories, I just found it frustrating finding what I need because honestly, who decides what is “basic”, or “exhibition”, or “smart”, or “worthy”, or “advanced”? These designations mean nothing to the average user when they are just looking for how to create a locked column or format a cell.

Thanks for your attention to this problem.