Problem: I cannot get Aspose.Email to recognize that I have a valid
license installed and set. It keeps sending emails with "(Aspose.Email
Evaluation)" appended to the subject line of emails I send.
The application is a Windows Forms .Net 3.5 application which until a few days ago was using Aspose.Words to create emails which were sent using Aspose.Network.
The application was using an Aspose.Total.lic which was
I am using a valid Aspose.Total.Product.Family.lic which expires 20121219 (12/19/2012).
I am setting the license, along with the Aspose.Words license like this:
Aspose.Words.License license = new Aspose.Words.License();
Aspose.Email.License emailLicense = new Aspose.Email.License();
The Aspose.Words license seems to be fine because it is creating the emails as
it did before.
I have not edited the license file.
I am using
Aspose.Email for .NET 1.2.0 which was released on 12/4/2011.
I have verified that I installed the Aspose.Total.Product.Family.lic as an
Things I’ve tried:
- Installed an older version of Aspose.Email.
- Reinstalled the license.
- Tried setting the license to “Aspose.Total.Product.Family.lic”
- Cleared all application cache.
Mike McIntyre MVP