Aspose.Grid problem further defined

I have continued working to diagnose what is occuring with our project with the Aspse.Grid control. The problem appears to revolve around the use of server.transfer (which our application does extensively) to change to another page.

Here is the scenario:

Create a project with two forms. One with the grid control, and one with a button. Set the form with the button as the default startup form. in the button press event of the startup form, server.transfer("page2")

Run the project and click the button to cause the event to server.transfer to the page with the grid on it. No events fire, no javascript runs. Now, set the page with the grid on it as the default startup page. Run the project again, and all functionality is there.

This is really weird behavior, and I have spent the entire day to trace it down to this. At this point, I need some help to find a solution. using microsoft fiddler, looking at the requests that come to the server, when you do a server transfer to the page from another, when it requests the images and java files, the body size is exactly the same size everytime.

Please contact me as soon as possible.

Tim Trahan
Lead Developer
Operations Audit Team
Hilton Hotels Corp.

nospam.tim_trahan@hilton.com (remove the nospam)

Hi Tim,

Are these problems related to upgrading to vs.net 2005? Please check http://www.aspose.com/Wiki/default.aspx/Aspose.Grid/WorkWithVWD2005.html .

Nanjing team located on China. Our developers are on their National Day holidays. If you find any other problems, please post them here. They will support you on next Monday.

No, unfortunately, that is not the problem. I had already made the project use IIS.

Again, I am able to get the grid working by setting the form it lives on as the default form or using response.redirect to get to the form. The problem comes in when the application uses server.transfer to switch to the page that contains the grid. All of the images load, but it appears that the java script and the common behavior file doesn't come down to the client.

It boils down, i think, to the behavior of server.transfer leaving the page you transfer to thinking it's url is the previous pages url.

Hi,

If you want to redirect page, set the GridWeb.EnableSmartNavigation property to False and try again.

This did not fix the problem. We do not use redirects in any case, but setting this value to false has not effect on the problem.

Again, this problem is very easy to illustrate. It is being cause by page 1, which does not have the grid control, issuing a server.transfer to page 2 that does have a grid control. Simply putting a button on page 1, server.transfering to page 2 with the grid when you click the button, will illustrate the problem.

In this scenario, setting the EnableSmartNavigation did not work.

Tim Trahan
Lead Developer
Operations Audit Team
Hilton Hotels Corp.

Hi Tim,

I made a mistake that I have thought you were using redirect. I did some test and find a way that may solve your problem.

You may put a empty GridWeb control in the Page1, and set its Visible property to False. So the Page1 looks unchanged but it can provide the client-side files as well as scripts, images for the Page2.

Try it and let me know if it works. Thank you.

Unfortunately, this is not a viable solution. The design of our application allows for an unlimited number of entry points to this screen. In other words, I can't define which page will be the one to server.transfer to the page containing the control, and it is not feasible to put this grid on every page in our project.

Tim Trahan
Lead Developer
Operations Audit Team
Hilton Hotels Corp.

Hi Tim,

I have fixed this problem and built a new version 1.7.4.1. Please check the attachment. Let me know whether it works or not.

This corrected the problem. This fix will be carried forward in future releases, correct?

Tim

Yes of course.

FYI

I have not had time to diagnose this, but I seem to be getting different behavior out of the control the when I validate the grid the first time from the second time I validate it. The first time I validate the control, the grid seems to forget the initial settings I set on it, but the second time it works.

Again, I have not looked into the cause. I had already worked around the previous issue by making the page automatically post back on itself the first time it loaded from a server.transfer, which also corrects this problem. Since I have lost so much time dealing with this, I am moving foward with the auto post back solution.

Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I need to know more details about the problem. How do you validate the control? And what is the initial settings?

And would you please post some source code here to help us locate the problem? I am interested with the Page_Load block.

Thank you.

I understand. Unfortunately I am in the middle of a tight release cycle and have come up with a work around that solves the problem. When I get this release out the door, I will readdress the actual problem.

Tim Trahan
Lead Developer
Operations Audit Team
Hilton Hotels Corp.