Aspose.Outlook

In addition to Excel and Word, we also have legacy client server applications that create instances of Outlook, for the purposes of sending e-mail.

This functionality is now in the process of being migrated to asp.net.

Isn’t there a better a way to send e-mail from asp.net?
Do you have any plans to create a product like Aspose.Outlook to provide this type of functionality?

Regards,
Michael Minadeo
IBM Global Services
Nissan Account

Dear Michael,

Thanks for your suggestion.

We’d love to hack Outlook then provide a clone simliar to Aspose.Word or Aspose.Excel for Outlook: Aspose.Outlook.

If you just want to send email from asp.net, you can try System.Web.Mail Hierarchy.

But if you use features only available in Outlook Automation, would you take time to check Working with Microsoft Outlook Objects then post a detailed feature list you’re using. Then we can quickly get to know what you want.

Thanks for your contribution in advance.

Ben,

I asked around about Outlook features and the only response I got, outside of being able to send e-mail from the app, was:

Being able to receive e-mail in an app.

In some case, we have e-mail that is routed to special mailboxes. It would be useful to be able to browse the contents of a mailbox from within an app.

That seems like the only Outlook feature that we would be using in the short term.

Best Regards,
Michael Minadeo
IBM Global Services
Nissan Account

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your feedback.

What sort of “special” mailboxes do you use? I mean what server hosts those mailboxes and what protocol is used to access them? Is it MS Exchange Server and you use Outlook configured to connect to Exchange Server? I think this configuration is called “MS Exchange Client”.

In this case it is possible for us to access those mailboxes on the server programmatically via MAPI without Outlook installed. However it is not perfect because requires MAPI and Exchange Client dlls on the client installed and it must be configured. Also, I’ve heard that Microsoft is discouraging developers to use MAPI - they must be planning something else.

If the mailboxes are stored in Exchange Server we might be able to access them using other protocols, say POP3 or IMAP4. In this case we will not require any extra software on the client, but Exchange Server must be configured to allow those protocols (it might be already allowing this at your site).

POP3 and IMAP4 are well established protocols for mailboxes so if we implement those we can potentially connect to servers other than MS Exchange Server.

Hi Michael,

Sorry for taking so long time to reply.

Over the years Aspose.Network has been developed extensively and it could be considered as an alternative Outlook API, especially it has provides Outlook file manipulation.

Please feel free to check it from http://www.aspose.com/categories/file-format-components/aspose.network-for-.net/default.aspx