Aspose.Pdf 10.1.0.0 security permissions issues

Hi,

Have some questions about PDF generation and setting security permissions. Tested on Aspose.Pdf 10.1.0.0.

Project attached.
  1. I set IsAnnotationsModifyingAllowed to true, but it works only if IsFormFillingAllowed is also set to true. If IsFormFillingAllowed is false, then generated PDF has commenting disabled even if IsAnnotationsModifyingAllowed was true. Is it by design? If yes, please give some explanations.
  2. I set IsCopyingAllowed to true, IsScreenReadersAllowed to false. IsScreenReadersAllowed is ignored. When I open properties of generated PDF in Adobe Reader “Content coping for accessibility” is “Allowed”. Is it a bug?
  3. I set IsContentsModifyingAllowed to true. But both Adobe and Foxit Readers show, that document modification is not allowed.
Thanks,
Alex Shloma
Hi Alex,

LiteraCorp:

1. I set IsAnnotationsModifyingAllowed to true, but it works only if IsFormFillingAllowed is also set to true. If IsFormFillingAllowed is false, then generated PDF has commenting disabled even if IsAnnotationsModifyingAllowed was true. Is it by design? If yes, please give some explanations

3. I set IsContentsModifyingAllowed to true. But both Adobe and Foxit Readers show, that document modification is not allowed.

I have tested your above scenario with new DOM approach and unable to notice the issue. Please use new DOM approach to create PDF document and set privileges, it will help you to accomplish the task.

LiteraCorp:

2. I set IsCopyingAllowed to true, IsScreenReadersAllowed to false. IsScreenReadersAllowed is ignored. When I open properties of generated PDF in Adobe Reader "Content coping for accessibility" is "Allowed". Is it a bug?

We are looking into it and will update you soon.

Best Regards,

Thank you for the code sample. Works just fine. #1 and #3 are no longer reproducible.

About #2. Think it is not a bug, because the same behavior is observed in Aspose.Words during exporting document to PDF. Anyway, if it is by design, please let me know, why this limitation was coded.

I also noticed, that if only AllowModifyAnnotations is set to true, then generated PDF has forms filling enabled. If it is by design, please share the information on why this limitation was coded.

Best regards,
Alex Shloma
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your feedback. It is good to know that your two concerns are fixed.

LiteraCorp:
About #2. Think it is not a bug, because the same behavior is observed in Aspose.Words during exporting document to PDF. Anyway, if it is by design, please let me know, why this limitation was coded.

We have logged a ticket PDFNEWNET-38503 in our issue tracking system for further investigation and will let you know with our findings.

LiteraCorp:
I also noticed, that if only AllowModifyAnnotations is set to true, then generated PDF has forms filling enabled. If it is by design, please share the information on why this limitation was coded.

I have also noticed the security permissions with AllowModifyAnnotation. So we have logged a ticket PDFNEWNET-38504 in our issue tracking system for further investigation and will let you know with our findings.

Best Regards,

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your patience. We would like to update you about PDFNEWNET-38504 that, this behavior is correct. While setting AllowModfiyAnnotaion to true means to enable following features:

• add or modify text annotations.
  • fill in interactive form fields (including signature fields).

Moreover, we will update you about the other issue PDFNEWNET-38503 as soon as its investigation is completed.

Best Regards,

Thanks for an update.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your patience. In reference to PDFNEWNET-38503, we have investigated it and found it is a valid behavior. If we enable IsCopyingAllowed property then IsScreenReadersAllowed will be set to true also. Please take a look on attached screenshot from Acrobat Pro, as you can see enabling copying of text, images, and other content always enabling text access for screen devices settings.

Please feel free to contact us for any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Thanks for the explanation,

Alex Shloma

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your feedback. Please keep using our APIs and feel free to ask any question or concern. We will be more than happy to extend our support.

Best Regards,