Aspose.Word to Aspose.Pdf availability

Hi Wayne,

We have started working on Word to PDF conversion already.

Your Word sample document is reasonably simple it contains only text and inline pictures. If you don’t add any other elements such as office drawings, tables, headers and footers you could have a release of Aspose.Word converting it to Pdf some time next week, 11-12th March. Note that you would need Aspose.Pdf as well because Aspose.Word will only produce data that must go into Aspose.Pdf to make a Pdf file on the output. Both components are simple to use.

I don’t think we can do anything for PowerPoint by that time, it will certainly be several months before a PowerPoint component can be available from Aspose.

That is great news. So, should I check the web site next week to purchase and download those components? I understand the Aspose.PDF is already available and I assume the current version of that component will process what I take from the new Aspose.Word component? Basically I’ll want to purchase and download both controls, so just want to ensure I get the new Aspose.Word and compatible Aspose.PDF components.

Regards,
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

1. You are welcome to use evaluations versions initially. Just download the components and use. They have no expiry date, they just insert some watermark text.

2. Aspose.Word will not depend on an explicit version Aspose.Pdf because they will talk XML between each other and the schema is stable. It might extend, but will remain compatible because we have so many Aspose.Pdf customers who rely on it.

3. Check out Aspose licensing policy. If you buy a license you are entitled to free upgrades to the component. No pay when new version is out.

4. I’ve heard there are plans to make purchase of both Aspose.Word and Aspose.Pdf cheaper than to buy components separately, but this will be knows closer to the release date.

5. For any licensing and purchase questions please post to Aspose.Purchase forum.

Hi Wayne,

Basic functionality to convert to Pdf is available in Aspose.Word 1.2.1 here http://www.aspose.com/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4783.

But note, it is only limited initial functionality. It only supports page size, page margins, font size, font color. It does not yet support images and a few other features you need for the sample document you sent me. I’m working on support for images right now, it could be available early next week.

Now, to convert from DOC to PDF you need both Aspose.Word and Aspose.Pdf. Here is a sample code:

doc.Save(“myfile.xml”, SaveFormat.FormatAsposePdf);

Aspose.Pdf.Pdf pdf = new Aspose.Pdf.Pdf();
pdf.BindXML(“myfile.xml”, null);
pdf.Save(“myfile.pdf”);

Please note that we have not yet decided whether both Aspose.Word and Aspose.Pdf will be required in the final release to do this type of conversion. Maybe only Aspose.Word will be required or maybe there will be another component such as proposed Aspose.XSL-FO.