Aspose.Words 11.8 throwing object reference error for mailmerge docs that work with release 10.5

The attached ZIP file contains a main mailmerge document (.doc) and the XML datasource generated at runtime. Aspose.Words is throwing "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" during the mailmerge Execute command.

(e.g. doc.MailMerge.Execute(dsMergeData.Tables[0]);)

This is happening with a number of letters that are working fine if I use v10.5 but are now failing with v11.8. Other letters are working fine.

I noticed there is a hotpatch for Aspose.Words v11.8 that was posted on 10/15/2012. Would like to know if this would fix our issue.

Thanks in advance to your attention to this matter.

Hi,

Thank you for your request. We have performed a preliminary analysis of your issue, confirmed it and discovered the root cause. There are many IF fields in your document that have no space between “IF” and subsequent child field. While it is not mentioned in fields syntax, Microsoft Word seems to support such layout and Aspose.Words used to support it as well. Unfortunately, it caused problems in a code added recently. That’s why I would like to ask my colleagues from the support team register this issue, after which we will proceed to fixing it. Please expect it fixed in the next release of Aspose.Words and sorry for inconvenience.

Thanks.
Hi William,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have managed to reproduce the same issue at my side. I have logged this issue as WORDSNET-7186 in our issue tracking system. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Thanks for the update. However, now we are seeing additional issues with v11.8 where mergefields are just not showing up (does not generate the object reference error). Again, works with v10.5, but not 11.8. The SET commands were not working with the earlier versions which is why we went to 11.8.

The following issue is affecting a large number of our clients' letters. Please see the attached zip file. At the end of the document is a TEST section. The highlighted green should be showing up, and is with v10.5, but not with v11.8. It is not the "IF{MERGEFIELD" issue where no space is present so I'm not sure if it's a related issue. The test section is just coding pulled from the actual letter above it.

Please let me know when you believe this "parsing" issue will be resolved and if you can identify the issue with the attached files. We are trying to determine our go-forward course of action.

Thanks in advance,

Terry (William)

Hi William,

Thanks for sharing the details. I have tested the scenario with Aspose.Words for .NET 10.5.0 and have not found any issue. Our development team is working over this issue. Hopefully, the fix of your issue will be included in the next version of Aspose.Words (i.e. v11.10.0) which is planned to be released by the end of this month (November’ 30, 2012). We will inform you via this forum thread as soon as the new release is published.

We appreciate your patience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-7186) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.