Aspose.Words & Office for Mac 2011 & MailMerge Datasource

Hi Jens,

Thanks for the additional information.

Yes, you’re right; Word for MAC does throw all those error messages you mentioned in the screen shots. But, I could observe them on my side when opening the DOC with Word for MAC for the very first time. Secondly, yes it is correct that the responsible developer could not reproduce the problem on his first attempt (WORDSNET-7122) on his side and hence it was not resolved. However, I have now raised the priority of WORDSNET-7853 in our issue tracking system. I will be sure to inform you of any further developments and let you know once it is resolved.

I apologize for your inconvenience.

Best regards,

Hi Awais,

is there any news?

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,

Hi Jens,

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, your issue is still not resolved yet. Our development team is currently doing analysis of WORDSNET-7853. We will be sure to inform you of any developments and let you know once it is resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Best regards,

Hi Jens,

Thanks for your patience. It is to update you that our development team has made some progress on your issue; I have attached a couple of sample output documents, i.e. generated using the current code base of Aspose.Words’ API, here for your reference. Please open these documents with ‘Word for MAC’ on your side and let us know of your findings. Do they show the desired behaviour for you?

Best regards,

Hi Awais,

the document can be opened with WordForMac 2011 and it seems everything is ok.

So we can hope for the fix is implemented in next aspose release?

Could you send us a modified jar with the fix, so we can make sure that everything is ok?

Thanks a lot! Kind regards,

Hi Jens,

Thanks for your feedback. I have informed the concerned developer of the information you supplied and asked the ETA of this issue. I will update you as soon as I have extra information.

Best regards,

Hi Jens,

Thank you for being patient. We have a good news for you that is WORDSNET-7853 has now been resolved and it’s fix will be included in the next release of Aspose.Words (13.5.0) which is planned to be released by the end of May 2013. We will inform you via this forum thread as soon as the new release of Aspose.Words is published.

Best regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-7853) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

Hi aspose team,

thanks for your effort. Word documents (doc) which have existing mailmerge fields can now be opened without problems and the fields are regnonized as known mailmerge-fields.
But the first problem I mentioned in this thread still exists: Word documents (doc) which dont have any mailmerge fields, produce the logged error message in Word start and the fields of the datasource are gone on opening them with Word for Mac 11.

You can simple reproduce it by creating an empty document with aspose itself, setting a datasource, saving it and opening it with WordForMac 11.

I hope that problem will be fixed, too.

Thanks a lot! Cheers

Hi Jens,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please find attached a sample Word document that I generated using Aspose.Words for .NET 13.5.0 on my side. Opening this DOC with Word for MAC produces the attached error on my side; but, I can still see the fields in this Word document (please refer to the attached screen shots). Re-saving this document with Word for Windows has no impact (the initial error message box still pops up). Could you please describe this problem in more detail? Thanks for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Hi Awais,

thanks for your reply and your attached document. I’ve just tested it on our mac test machine and it looks fine.

In our case I just create a word document with following code snippet:

try
{
    Document document = new Document();
    FileOutputStream fos = new FileOutputStream(serverTempFile);
    try
    {
        document.save(fos, SaveFormat.DOC);
    }
    finally
    {
        StreamUtil.close(fos);
    }
}

then I do:

Document asposeDocument = new Document(serverTempFile);
MailMergeSettings mmSettings = asposeDocument.getMailMergeSettings();
mmSettings.setDataSource("dataSource.html");
mmSettings.setMainDocumentType(MailMergeMainDocumentType.FORM_LETTERS);
mmSettings.setDataType(MailMergeDataType.TEXT_FILE);
mmSettings.setLinkToQuery(true);
mmSettings.setViewMergedData(true);
mmSettings.setQuery(SELECT_FROM_STRING + mmSettings.getDataSource());

if (mServerFile == null)
{
    mServerFile = new File("test.doc");
}
FileOutputStream dataOutputStream = new FileOutputStream(mServerFile);
try
{
    asposeDocument.save(dataOutputStream, SaveFormat.DOC);
}
finally
{
    StreamUtil.close(dataOutputStream);
}

When we open this so generated document with Word for Mac it generates the attached error and the fieldlist is empty in Word.

Hi Jens,

Thanks for the additional information.

I have generated a test document (please see attachment Test.doc) using the code mentioned in your previous post. Could you please open this document with Word for MAC on your side and see if the fields are enlisted inside the ‘Insert Placeholders’ section of ‘Mail Merge Manager’ window. I did also test this document with Word for MAC on my side and the results were not different than those mentioned in my previous post. Moreover, when I drag a field e.g. ‘ETI_DOT_LINE1’ from the ‘Insert Placeholders’ section on to the viewing area of Word, it correctly displays the value i.e. ‘Etiketten.Zeile 1’. Simply put, I am afraid, I could not see any issue with ‘Test.doc’ document. If I can help you with anything else, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Hi Awais,

thanks again for your support. Yep I retestet the szenario and cant find any problem anymore.

It seems that the new jar was not correctly included.

So the issues are solved for us! Thanks again.

Cheers,

Hi Jens,

Thanks for your feedback. It’s great you were able to achieve what you were looking for. In case you have further inquires or need any help, please let us know.

Best regards,