How to update composite charts using .NET

Hi!

Currently we are working extensively with Word Charts as well as PowerPoint Charts. While in PowerPoint, everything works as expected, we’re having problems with applying the same logic to Word Charts. The documentation, however, does not really help.

Are there any plans to streamline the properties/methods in Words to Slides? When working with slides, we’re directly writing to the background worksheet, we use axis properties (VerticalAxis, SecondaryVerticalAxis etc.). However, when transferring that code to Words we are having a hard time to achieve the same thing because the data model is so different. How - for instance - to access the secondary vertical axis? Aspose also seems to mess up some axis settings in the process of removing existing and adding new axis.

Couldn’t this be made much, much easier by having the exact same underlying object model as in Slides? They’re both targetting the same charts, so that would make life so much easier.

Bernd

@bernd.podhradsky

Please note that Aspose.Words and Aspose.Slides are two independent products. Both products have their own APIs for charts.

To ensure a timely and accurate response, please attach the following resources here for testing:

• Your input Word document.
  • Please attach the output Word file that shows the undesired behavior.
  • Please attach the expected output Word file that shows the desired behavior.
  • Please create a standalone console application ( source code without compilation errors ) that helps us to reproduce your problem on our end and attach it here for testing.

As soon as you get these pieces of information ready, we will start investigation into your issue and provide you more information. Thanks for your cooperation.

PS: To attach these resources, please zip and upload them.

Hi!

I will prepare the console application and upload it here later.

My point was: I know that these are two separate APIs because they’re two different products. That was exactly my point, because it probably would be a good design decision to make chart interfaces the same, because they’re both interfacing MSO Charts and could make life so much easier :).

I’ll get back to you with the source-code soon.

Bernd

Hi!

Please find attached the source code:
AsposeWords.ChartProblem1.zip (4.9 MB)

What you will see is a console application that takes an input.docx that contains a combo chart (with two series - one depicated as a line chart, the other one as area), deletes the series and adds its own data and then saves the docx. The created “output.docx” then cannot be opened in MS Word - an error message appears.

So here’s a summary of the problems we have:

• The output.docx seems to be corrupt
  • The combo chart in “input.docx” actually has two vertical axis; a primary and a secondary one. How can we access properties of the secondary axis through Aspose API? I only see a single AxisY (in contrast to the PowerPoint API which provides VerticalAxis and SecondaryVerticalAxis). We need this to set minimum and maximum values independetly for each axis.

Thanks,
Bernd

@bernd.podhradsky

Unfortunately, Aspose.Words does not support to create and update composite charts. We have logged these features as WORDSNET-12769 and WORDSNET-20209 in our issue tracking system. You will be notified via this forum thread once these features are available.

We apologize for your inconvenience.