Aspose.Words for Android - Not working with Xamarin

Hi there, I’ve been evaluting Aspose.Words for Android as we are unable to use our .Net version on Xamarin.

I’ve been following the guide at:
https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/advanced_topics/binding-a-java-library/binding-a-jar/

However I’m getting various areas related to obfuscation. This makes sense, but can anyone tell me whether you’ve made some meta data files for using Aspose.Words? We’d rather not having to type this all out by hand, without any kind of guarantee it will actually work.

Many thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your inquiry. We already logged a ticket in our issue tracking system as WORDSANDROID-150 to investigate the usage of Aspose.Words for Andriod with Xamarin Mono for Android framework. Your request has been linked to this issue and you will be notified via this forum thread as soon as it is resolved.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thank you Tahir, I take it no word just yet?

I’m getting quite a lot of pressure as to whether we can use this component. It’s our preferred choice as we’re a .Net customer already (we found this doesn’t work with Xamarin). If there’s anything you can do it would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to share any reliable estimate at the moment. The implementation of this feature has been postponed till a later date. We will inform you via this thread as soon as this feature is available.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Hi Tahir, we have actually managed to get this working.

We had to use Eclipse to build a library that essentially wraps up each Aspose call we need. This meant that when we use Xamarin to generate the proxy classes, it doesn’t have the issue of the obfuscation. We found Android Studio did not want to work with Aspose at all, despite following the guidance on the forums about using dex2jar.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your feedback. It is nice to hear from you that you have found the solution of your issue. We will update you via this forum thread once there is any update available on WORDSANDROID-150.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for being patient.

Regarding WORDSANDROID-150 (renamed as WORDSXAND-7), we are pleased to announce the release of first version of Aspose.Words for Xamarin.Android that you can download from the following link:

Download Aspose.Words for Xamarin.Android 17.3

You can also reference Aspose.Words for Xamarin.Android 17.3 API in your Visual Studio Xamarin project via NuGet. Please check:

Aspose.Words for Xamarin.Android NuGet Package

Aspose.Words for Xamarin.Android is an advanced Word document processing API to perform a wide range of document processing tasks directly within your native android app using C#.

Best regards,

@peter.mills,

It is to inform you that we have released a new API named ‘Aspose.Words for iOS via Xamarin’. You can download it from the following link:
Download Aspose.Words for iOS via Xamarin

Aspose.Words for iOS via Xamarin brings all stunning features of Aspose.Words for .NET to the Xamarin.iOS platform that makes it possible to do native iOS development in C#, with either Visual Studio or Xamarin Studio or you can even use Visual Studio for Mac. Aspose.Words for iOS via Xamarin is a class library that enables your native iOS applications to perform a great range of document processing tasks. Aspose.Words for iOS via Xamarin supports DOC, DOCX, RTF, HTML, OpenDocument, PDF, XPS, EPUB and other formats. With Aspose.Words for iOS via Xamarin you can generate, modify, convert and render documents. For more details, please visit documentation:
Aspose.Words for iOS via Xamarin Documentation