Performing Microsoft Word Mail Merge with Aspose.Words REST API overwrites template fields

A couple days ago we noticed that mail merges we were doing on template files were not returning with the data we were sending into be merged.

For example, we had template file A, and we were sending in something like { name : ‘Chris’ }, and the PDF returned merged in the correct name (Chris). Then we would do another mailmerge on Template A with { name : ‘Bob’ }, but the PDF returned still had “Chris”. And any time we tried to merge ANYTHING into Template A, we would always get “Chris”.

We even tried renaming the template to Template B, and then merging and WE WOULD STILL GET “Chris”.

I have done extensive troubleshooting on our end and it appears that something is stuck in your system, maybe cached or something. We are using Words for clouds with our own S3 bucket.

This is a MAJOR, MAJOR problem as the documents we are trying to generate have the wrong data in them.

@Chris_Sutton

Thank you for getting in touch with Aspose Support.

We have been able to reproduce the issue you are facing. I have logged an issue (WORDSCLOUD-204) in our internal issue tracking system with our product team. The issue has also been attached with this thread, so you will be notified once we have a solution for this.

Kind Regards,
Mateen Sajjad

Is there any ETA on this fix. At this point the system is basically down and broken for us, and impacting our downstream clients.

@Chris_Sutton,

I will check with our product team and let you know. Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,
Mateen Sajjad

Any update on this? Are we taking a week to get this fixed, or a month, or more? If it’s going to be more than a week, I really need to know as we need to make some plans for dealing with this missing functionality.

@Chris_Sutton,

I have just checked with our product team and they have informed us that this functionality has now been fixed. We regret the inconvenience that you have faced.

If you continue facing this issue, please do let us know. Thank you for your patience.

@Chris_Sutton,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSCLOUD-204) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for Cloud 17.7 update.

@Chris_Sutton

As an update please note since Aspose.Words Cloud 19.4, we have introduced API Version V4.0. In this version we have joined “ExecuteMailMerge” and “ExecuteTemplate” methods. Now Aspose.Words API has only “mailmerge” method which can be used with both template types: “mailmerge fields” or “mustache”. So now four API methods are reduced to the following two API methods.

​PUT /words​/{name}​/MailMerge Executes a Mail Merge operation

PUT ​/words​/MailMerge Executes a Mail Merge operation online