Aspose.Words Linq Reporting - Using IDataRecord and IDataReader with hierarchical data

Hello,

You guys really need to improve your documentation and examples for implementing code using the Aspose Linq Reporting module.

Here’s my question:

I have a parent object that implements IDataRecord. How do I return children (i.e., a list of IDataRecord children) from the parent object? I’ve tried returning an IDataReader as one of the parent object property values (to represent the child list), but that blows up with an exception message “Can not iterate over an instance of type 'System.Data.IDataReader”.

How do I use IDataRecord and IDataReader to return a hierarchical set of data for use with Aspose.Words Linq Reporting?

Thanks.

Hello,

What is an ETA for an answer to this question? This is currently a blocker for our development using Aspose.Words.

What Type should be returned from IDataRecord.GetFieldType() so that child data can be iterated within a <> block in the associated template document? We’ve tried several different types, including typeof(IEnumerable) and typeof(IDataReader), all of which are failing to work and causing the library to throw exceptions. This appears to be a bug in the library since a null reference exception is thrown in the case of typeof(IEnumerable).

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your inquiry. We are working over your query and will get back to you soon.

Best regards,

Hi Ted,

Please note that LINQ Reporting Engine currently supports access only to simple fields of IDataReader. Thus, access to related data readers is not supported. Therefore, you cannot use IDataReader implementations recursively as you want.

That is, master-detail relations are not supported for IDataReader/IDataRecord implementations. It is by design and there are some technical considerations to make such a decision.

However, there is a good news for you. After implementing WORDSNET-13538, we will be able to provide an alternative way of supporting master-detail relations for IDataReader/IDataRecord implementations by LINQ Reporting Engine.

Your thread has been linked to the appropriate issue and you will be notified as soon as it is supported. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best regards,

Any idea when this functionality will be implemented? The linq reporting engine is quite primitive without it for any sort of dynamic data sources that are not known at compile type.

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your inquiry. The fix of this issue will be available in next 16.5.0 version of Aspose.Words. We will hopefully release 16.5.0 during this week. We will notify you as soon as next version of Aspose.Words is published.

Best regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-13538) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

Hi Ted,

We have also attached example code with this post. Hope, this helps.

Best regards,

Where is the sample code? I can’t see it as part of this post?

@tedsmorris,

Please see this code: code.zip (1.7 KB). Hope, this helps.

A post was split to a new topic: Json Data usage in document

A post was split to a new topic: Build Reports using LINQ Reporting | Using IDataRecord IDataReader Hierarchical Data | Master Detail Relation