Assistive technology support

Hi,

Does Aspose.Pdf provide API to setup assistive technology support, e.g. tags to define the reading order or alternative text for images?

If yes, can you please point me to classes/methods I can use?

Thanks,

Natasa

Hi Natasa,

Thanks for contacting support.

I am afraid currently API does not support the feature to add ALT text for image inside PDF file. However for the sake of implementation, we have logged this problem as PDFNEWNET-37355 in our issue tracking system.

Now concerning to supporting tags to define reading order, do you need this feature for Text objects or for other elements as well. Please share the details and some sample file with similar feature enabled, so that we can further look into this matter. We are sorry for your inconvenience.

Hi Nayyer

Thanks for the quick response.

Regarding the tags to define reading order, we need a way to tell if the text is in the columns to read left column first and then the second. Also, we would appreciate if there is a way to tag tables, to provide information about column header/row for each cell. This is a new requirement for us too, so I am not sure if any other requirements will be listed later.

However, I have another question or request, if I may.

Generally, we generate a PDF from a Word document. Would there be a chance to have a way to tag Word document text and add alternative text to Word images and they would be converted into PDF as we save the Word doc as PDF? (I understand you do not provide a way for alt. text for images in PDF yet, but just a thought, in case you are going to work on it any time in the future)

Thank you,

Natasa

nfecanin:
.Regarding the tags to define reading order, we need a way to tell if the text is in the columns to read left column first and then the second. Also, we would appreciate if there is a way to tag tables, to provide information about column header/row for each cell. This is a new requirement for us too, so I am not sure if any other requirements will be listed later.
Hi Natasa,

Thanks for sharing the details.

I am afraid the above stated feature is currently not support and this requirement is logged as PDFNEWNET-40256 in our issue tracking system.

nfecanin:
.Generally, we generate a PDF from a Word document. Would there be a chance to have a way to tag Word document text and add alternative text to Word images and they would be converted into PDF as we save the Word doc as PDF? (I understand you do not provide a way for alt. text for images in PDF yet, but just a thought, in case you are going to work on it any time in the future)
I have intimated my fellow workers from Aspose.Words team to further look into this matter and they will be sharing the required information. Soon you will be updated with the required information.

Hi Natasa,

Thanks for your inquiry.

In your case, we suggest you please move the cursor to the specific text and insert the bookmark. Hope this helps you. If you still have problem, please share some more detail about tagging word document’s text. We will then provide you more information on this along with code.

Please use Shape.AlternativeText property to get/set alternative text (description) of an image. Check following code example.

Document doc = new Document(MyDir + "in.docx");
Shape shape = (Shape)doc.GetChild(NodeType.Shape, 0, true);
shape.AlternativeText = "This is image one";
doc.Save(MyDir + "Out.docx");

Alt Text title property of Shape is not supported at the moment by Aspose.Words. This feature had already been logged as WORDSNET-11865 in our issue tracking system. You will be notified via this forum thread once this feature is available. We apologize for your inconvenience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-11865) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(7)

The issues you have found earlier (filed as ) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 18.12 update and this Aspose.Words for Java 18.12 update.

@nfecanin

MS Words supports both title and description properties of Shape. We introduced new feature in Aspose.Words 16.3 to set the title of Shape using Shape.Title property. Following code example shows how to set title of shape object.

Document doc = new Document();
DocumentBuilder builder = new DocumentBuilder(doc);

// Create test shape
Shape shape = new Shape(doc, ShapeType.Cube);
shape.Width = 431.5;
shape.Height = 346.35;
shape.Title = "Alt Text Title";

builder.InsertNode(shape);