Barcode Image does not display on a deployed Reporting Services Report

We are using the Barcode .Net product in our development environment we have a custom dll that calls the Aspose .Net dll to display barcode for .Net applications.

Because of the .Net custom dll, we wish to use it instead of the Reporting Services Aspose dll.

So, I am trying to get this to work in a Reporting Services environment. I use custom code (in Report Properties) to call the custom dll.

The end result is that the barcode displays properly in "Preview" mode. It displays properly in an exported pdf. When the report is deployed, however, there is only a red "X" on the report where the barcode should be presented. There are no log errors, etc. which give me a clue as to why this is failing.

Here's the custom code that is used to call the RCIS dll (which in turn calls the Aspose.barcode.dll methods):

Public Function GetBarcode(policy as String) As Byte()

objBarcodeData.FullPolicyNumber = "MN-953-336562"

objBarcodeData.CropYear = 2010

objBarcodeData.FormNumber = "MP-1007H"

objBarcodeBuilder.Build(objBarcodeData)

Return objBarcodeBuilder.Bytes

End Function

Hi Glen,

First of all, please accept my apologies for the delayed response.

As you have narrated that you are able to view the barcode in Preview and also able to export the report to Pdf with out any issue. Therefore, it does not seem to be a problem on the part of Aspose.BarCode for .NET component. Could you please check if “Display Images” option is turned on in your browser where you are viewing the report after deploying.

Moreover, I will require some more information regarding your development environment to fully test your scenario and isolate the problem cause. Please share the following information in this regard,
  • Operation System version and Service Pack
  • Operating System Architecture type (32bit/64bit)
  • SQL Server version and Service Pack
  • Aspose.BarCode for .NET version

It would be of great help, if you can share your report file (.rdl) for our review.

Looking forward to your kind response.
Regards,

Operating System: Windows 2008 R2 SP1 6.1.7601 (and Windows 2003 SP2 5.2.3790)

Operating System Architecture Type: 64-bit

SQL Server Version: 2008 R2 SP1

Aspose .Net Version: 3.9.0.0

I have "Show Pictures" enabled in my browser.

I am attached the report rdl (it is a simple example) as well as our custom dll that we use as a wrapper to call the Aspose dll.

Hi Glen,

Thank you for sharing complete information.

We are currently preparing the environment to simulate your scenario. We will keep you posted with updates on this issue. Moreover, if required we will also engage development by logging appropriate tickets.

Regards.

Hi Glen,

I have been looking into this issue for quite some time now. It seems very strange that in preview mode the barcode appears just fine but when deployed on local server the image is missing. Moreover, I am unable to deploy the report on a remote server.

As far as I have researched on this topic, the issue does not seem to be on the part of Aspose.BarCode for .NET component cause the barcode is generated fine in preview mode, and when exported out as Pdf, Doc and Tiff. The problem seems to be some configuration issue with the SQL Server Reporting Services. I am still looking into the issue to provide a better explanation to you. In mean while if you find something then please share the information here for future reference.

Please share the RSReportServer.config file from your ReportServer\bin folder for our review.

Regards,

Adding current configuration files (including RSReportServer.config) as you requested.

Thanks

Glen Schwickerath
RCIS, Inc.

Any update on this error?

I believe I have included sufficient material for a development resource to reproduce this issue in their own environment.

What is the next escalation?

Our development team is awaiting a resolution on this issue in order to determine if the Aspose product can be utilized in our environment.

Thanks,

Hi Glen,

Thank you for providing more information.

I have logged an investigative ticket (BARCODENET-33300) in our defect database and requested the development team to have a look into this matter. I have also attached with the ticket all the material shared by you so they can find out the problem cause and provide further guidance. As soon as I receive any news in this regard, I will post here for your kind reference.

Regards,

Hi Glen,

Please accept our apologies for not getting back to you soon.

Recently we had some progress in this matter. Could you please tell us that how you have add reference of Aspose.BarCode for .NET 3.9 in your assembly (RCIS.Barcode.dll)? Beacuse we are unable to test it with Aspose.BarCode for .NET 5.4. Second, You can also try it with our latest release of Aspose.BarCode for .NET 5.4.0 and let us know your feedback.