BIFF7 Encryption is not supported

Hello,

We are trying to understand the reasons why we get such errors.

Here is the issue:

- On a regular system, we protect our workbook structure with a password under Excel 2000. When we try to open it with Aspose.Cells, it works like a charm

- On a Citrix system, we use exactly the same version of Excel 2000 (as far as we can get), we try the same thing and get the following message when opening it through Aspose.Cells:

BIFF7 Encryption is not supported

Our questions are:

- what are the supported version of encryption types by Aspose.Cells ?

- what are the settings of Excel (registry, options, ...) that influence the encryption type ?

- what can we do (appart from modifying the above settings) to make this work !

Regards,

S.V. & R.R.

Could you please post the file here and tell me the password to protect it? I will check it ASAP.

- what are the supported version of encryption types by Aspose.Cells ?

There are 3 encryption types: BIFF7, BIFF8 standard, BIFF8 strong. Aspose.Cells only support BIFF8 standard which is used in most of files from Excel97 format to Excel2003 format.

- what are the settings of Excel (registry, options, ...) that influence the encryption type ?

I am not sure about this now.

- what can we do (appart from modifying the above settings) to make this work !

Please send all files with this error to us. We will check if we can support this BIFF7 encryption. Thank you.

Here are the attached filed:

test_pwd_regular.xls is the first file: it can be opened with Aspose.Cells even though it's password protected (password: test)

test_pwd_citrix.xls is the second file: it cannot be opened with Aspose.Celles. The password is exactly the same (test).

The second file

How do you create these two files, manually in MS Excel, or with Excel automation?

Hi,

we create the file manually, we open excel , New File, insert text for testing, protect the workbook and save the file.

Hello,

Have you been able to find anything ?

We've been in trouble with this issue for a rather long time now...

Regards.

We are busy working to support BIFF7 encryption. Now it's available.

Please try this attached version. I tested with your file and it worked fine.

@dexia-clf,

We recommend you to kindly try upgrading to and use latest version of the product which includes support for older BIFF7 (Excel 95/5.0 - 2003 Workbook) formats with enhancements:

Also, see the document for supported input and output file formats by Aspose.Cells: