Bookmark Form Fields REF Cross-References Fields Evaluation in Word Documents Supported during Mail Merge using C# .NET

I have found that aspose Word’s UpdateFields method does not update references to bookmark text - is this coming in a future release or is there some other way to acheive what I want to do?
I am trying to generate a sheet of labels where every label contains the same text. I am using a document template which contains bookmarks in the area of the first label. The template contains duplicate areas with “Cross-Reference” references to bookmark text. With MS Word automation I can do:

MyDoc.BookMarks("Address1").Select
Selection.Text = "123 High St."
MyDoc.Fields.Update

and “123 High St.” will be inserted everywhere there is a reference to the bookmark.

Right now the best way of achieving what you want with Aspose.Word is using MailMerge fields.

Check the following articles about using MailMerge:

The UpdateFields method documentation specifies which fields are updated. It is limited to several fields at the moment. The plans are of course to extend this so all fields are recalculated. I will log your request, hopefully we can implement update of the bookmark reference fields sometime soon.

Thanks very much for the replies.
Having looked at the MailMerge fields I can see that it would be better to use them instead of bookmarks/references, but that doesn’t help me much at the moment. We are looking at incorporating Aspose in a version upgrade of our product, and we have to cope with existing document templates that will have been created using our existing versions. These templates use the bookmark/reference combo I’ve described above.
If we are to move to Aspose we will have to either upgrade these templates or wait for you to release the enhancement. The upgrade process will be very time/resource intensive given the large number of documents/sites involved, and given your intention to release the functionality this is ultimately unnecessary. This makes it very unlikely that we will deploy until the enhancement is released, so if you have any more definite plans for this feature I would be grateful if you could let me know.
Thanks

Has any progress been made on this? I am trying to persuade my company to consider Aspose Words. The availability of this feature would make it much easier.
I am working with a large number of letter templates which are populated from a database. The same piece of data could appear in more than one place. We do not want to create individual bookmarks for each instance of that piece of data. Cross reference fields are a much neater solution.

Hi,
We completely understand your situation but unfortunately there is nothing to say for now. At the moment we have lots of top priority features to implement and we are forced to select only some of them for current development.

This is disappointing.
You said “hopefully sometime soon” back in december 2005, now you are saying this is not a top priority and cannot even give us a date.
Do you have a formal enhancement request process which we can follow, so we can properly submit requests and track their status, and at the least get some indication that they are being considered?

It is a top priority feature but we cannot develop them all simultaneously, that’s what I meant. Let me consult with our team leader regarding your question.

I’m afraid we have nothing to say regarding the formal request process. We try to not promise exact dates of release and we do notify all customers who have been waiting for a particular feature once it is ready, but we can’t provide the system you asked about. We apologize for that.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 126) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(34)

*aspose.notifier:
The issues you have found earlier (filed as 126) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(34)*

Hi,

I tried it and that still didn’t work, with Aspose Word.Net 9.1.0

1. Insert with Office Word (2002) a cross-reference (to a numbered paragraph).
    The code is : REF _Ref265675030 \r \h
    The result is : 4. (4th numbered paragraph)

2. Load this document with Aspose Word

3. Remove the 1st paragraph for example. So the 4th should become the 3rd.

4. Call Document.UpdateFields();

5. Save to .doc.

Result : the reference still displays “4” in Office Word. And if we update it automatically (select it and F9), that works.

Is UpdateFields() supposed to update the “REF” fields ?

Thanks.

Hi
Thanks for your request. Could you please attach your test document here for testing and provide me a simple code, which will allow to reproduce the problem? I will check the issue and provide you more information.
Best regards.

Hi,

Here is the doc used for my tests.

You can reproduce the procedure of my previous message. Just skip the first step, because the cross-reference is still in the document (you can verify it).

Hi

Thank you for additional information. I managed to reproduce the problem on my side. Your request has been linked to the appropriate issue. You will be notified as soon as it is fixed.
Best regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-3633) have been fixed in this .NET update and in this Java update.