Building x64 applications with Aspose.Cells

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the community, but not new to Aspose, having used the 4.7 version to generate Excel spreadsheets. My client has recently bought the 7.2 version and I've just made the migration from 4.7. We will test it soon on our test servers.

The whole .Net projet is run into a VS2010 solution with VB.Net 4.0.

Our solution uses Aspose.Cells in 2 manners in order to generate the spreadsheets :

1. Into a web application deployed under IIS7.5 on a Windows 2008 R2, x64 Server. The lightload exports are generated this way.

2. Into a Windows application that runs regularly and it's installed on the same server as before. It runs as 32bit application. The heavyload exports are generated this way.

The problem is that the heavyload exports are so heavy that sometimes they break the program with the "System.OutOfMemoryException" exception. This was achieved with the 4.7 version. We don't know yet what will hapen with the 7.2 version.

So, since we are on a x64 server we would like to build and run the Windows application as a 64bit process to make use of the extended memory of 64bit processes and faster runtimes.

The important questions is : will the provided Aspose.Cells dll succeed into building a 64bit application? According to this http://www.viva64.com/en/l/0005/, in order to build a 64bit application, all the 3rd party librairies have to be 64bit ones.

All input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for your question and using Aspose.Cells for .NET.

The provided dll works for 64 bit environment. We are constantly working on improving memory utilization of Aspose.Cells.

Please download and try the latest version:
Aspose.Cells
for .NET v7.2.1.4

and see if it works for you.

The above dll link will work for 64-bit environment.

In case you are downloading the Major release:

Aspose.Cells for .NET 7.2.1

Then please use the DLL under the directory “net2.0” and not “net3.5_ClientProfile”.

And please check the readme.txt under the directory
“Bin”.

Please see this image for more help.

Hi,

Thank you for using Aspose.Cells product for your solutions.

Aspose.Cells API supports both 32 and 64-bit versions of operating systems. You can find additional information about this at the following link:
Regarding your issue of OutOfMemoryException, our development team has been working in improving the memory usage in light of our valued customer’s issues that they have reported from time to time. Now that you are going to test the V 7.2, i would strongly recommend you to download and try this latest fix of Aspose.Cells i.e. Aspose.Cells for .NET v7.2.1.4 and let us know your feedback. We will try our best to assist you further for the resolution of the issue.

Thanks for the quick responses.

But… the question is not if the dll works for an x64 environnement. I know it does, because my machine is a Windows7 x64. The 4.7 Aspose.Cells version is curently used by an application currently installed on a x64 machine.

The question is, will this dll build a 64bit application that runs as a 64bit process on an x64 OS if the compile option “target CPU” is set to “x64” in the “Advanced compile options” of Visual Studio 2010?

Thanks again!

Hi,

You should not face any problem

However, I have forwarded your issue to development team for your better help and logged this issue in our database.

Once, there is some advice for you relating to this issue, we will soon update you.

This issue has been logged as CELLSNET-40706.

Hi,

We build the Aspose.Cells.dll with the compile option “target CPU” set
to “Any CPU”.

Thanks, this is all I wanted to know.

I’ll give it a try then and keep you updated!

Hello again!

Well, the 7.2 version worked out fine in developpement and we will see it soon on the test servers. I had more problems with Oracle :smiley:

Hi,

Thanks for your posting and using Aspose.Cells for .NET.

If you encounter any newer problems, please post them in newer (separate) threads, we will look into them soon and help you asap.