We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Cannot edit chart data in Excel after writing PPTX

I have a PPTX template, in which I have sample data used to set formatting properties. My application reads the template, replaces sample data with real data, then writes the new presentation out to disk. After this process, if I right-click the chart in the new file, then select ‘Edit data’, Excel opens but does nothing. It hangs, failing to show the chart data. I have to Quit Excel manually.

I thought the problem could be caused by my code putting incorrect data in the presentation, even though the chart looks correct. I removed 99% of the code, so all that was happening was the template being read, then written out to a new file without modification. The chart data still cannot be edited.

Here’s what I do:
// apply license first, then…
Presentation p = new Presentation(“ResultsTemplate2.pptx”);
p.save(“newfile.pptx”, SaveFormat.Pptx);

The resulting file looks identical but the chart data cannot be edited.

I’m confident this is an issue in Aspose.Slides. Can you confirm? An estimated fix release window would be helpful, too.

Hi George,

Thank you for sharing the template file.

I am able to reproduce your mentioned issue after an initial test. Your issue has been registered in our issue tracking system with issue id:SLIDESJAVA-34476. You will be notified via this forum thread once the issue gets resolved.

Thanks & Regards,

Thanks for the response.

Since posting the original message, I’ve found out that it’s probably a problem caused by an incompatibility between Aspose.Slides and the Mac OS X version of Powerpoint. If I create the chart in the template file using the Windows version, everything works fine and I can edit the data after modifying the presentation.

Hope that helps tracking down the bug, and gives a workaround for anyone else having the same problem.

Hi George,

I was able to reproduce your mentioned issue with Windows 8 x64, JDK 1.6…0_45 and with MS PowerPoint 2010. Please share which version you are using in your test on Windows. This will help in identifying the cause of the issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Hi Owais,

To clarify, the template file I attached was created using Powerpoint for Mac OS X (v14.4.3). I can’t test the code on Windows as my development environment is on my Mac and I haven’t set up an IDE on the VM - only Office.

I worked around the issue by creating an identical template PPTX to the one I attached, but using Powerpoint for Windows (2013 v15.0.2629.1000). I think it’s the template attached that is causing the issue. Aspose.Slides doesn’t seem to like something in the PPTX charts created on Mac OS X.

Hi George,

Thank you for the details.

I have shared the additional information with the development team and it will help us in identifying the cause of the issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Hi we face the same problem.

It’s really frustrating and prevents us from releasing.
We use Win 7, 64x, Java 8
Do you have any news on the status of this bug?
Hi Owais,

Any news regarding the issue?

Thanks

Hi,

The development team is working on the issue and I have asked them to share an update / ETA regarding the resolution of the issue. As soon as the information is shared, I will update you via this forum thread.

Thanks & Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-34476) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.