Cannot find License 'Aspose.Word.Lic'

we have a single developer licensed edition of aspose.word which up until now we have had no problems at all with

but lately, since the turn of the new year (might just be coincidence???), when we release a devlopement into our test environment we get the following error when we try to preview a letter

Cannot find License 'Aspose.Word.Lic'

we have the correct files placed within the bin directory of the application in the test environment/web server

aspose.word.dll
aspose.word.xml
aspose.word.lic

and within code we call the license file as follows:-

'license file for Aspose
Dim license As License = New License
license.SetLicense("Aspose.Word.lic")

this only happens on the test environment, it all still runs fine on the development environment

this is our license info if it helps any

Yarra Software
Limited to 1 developer.
This is a redistributable license.

Aspose.Word

Enterprise

what could be causing this?

Cheers,
Craig

Ok, I'll check what can be done. Meanwhile, try to include the license file into your project as embedded resource.

Also, please answer the following questions.

When have you purchased your Aspose.Word product?

What versions of dotnet do you have on your test machine?

What version of Aspose.Word are you using now?

Cheers,
Craig

miklovan wrote:

Ok, I'll check what can be done. Meanwhile, try to include the license file into your project as embedded resource.

Also, please answer the following questions.

When have you purchased your Aspose.Word product?
March 2005

What versions of dotnet do you have on your test machine?
v1.1

What version of Aspose.Word are you using now?

In that case, you have the right of free upgrade. It is valid for a year beginning from the date of purchase - in your case up to March 2006. I would definitely recommend you to migrate to the latest version of Aspose.Word, which is 3.4.

See

http://www.aspose.com/Wiki/default.aspx/Aspose.Word/V3Migration.html

to find out how to migrate to 3rd version of Aspose.Word.

Or at least migrate to the latest 2.*.*.* version available.

As far as I know (Roman knows better) there were some corrections and improvements made to the licensing scheme during year 2005.

Since you reported that it only happens on the test environment, it all still runs fine on the development environment - the problem is in your test environment configuration.

I'm sure you don't have to upgrade to resolve this problem, but upgrading to latest is generally a good idea anyway.

thats what i was thinking aswell.

what would cause it to not see the file in the test environment?

the file is not archived, hidden, read only

the file is physically there, any ideas as im totally stumped on this one!

Cheers,
Craig

That's really hard to advise remotely. If you cannot find out what's happenning then try something different, look for another way around.

If you think that is a license class to blame, try to collect some evidence. For example, you can try to open the license file using File.Open immediately before using SetLicense method.

Then, you can try using a later version of Aspose.Word and see if the error persists.

In your place I would also make up a very small test application with only SetLicense in it and try to deploy it on the test machine.

I hope your Windows Explorer is not configured to hide extensions of known files, since sometimes you get Aspose.Word.lic.txt shows in Windows Explorer as Aspose.Word.lic. You get the idea.

To get moving anywhere, try using explicit path, for example SetLicense("C:\Aspose.Word.lic"). Try embedding the license file into the application as a resource.

hardcoding the path in worked so, for the meantime, i just made a little workaround for it using your App_Path function

Dim license As License = New License
license.SetLicense(App_Path() & "Bin/Aspose.Word.lic")

still banging my head though as to why it cant see the license, though i have a suspicion that running on Win2003 Server has something to do with it - i remember reading somewhere that 2003 has a funny way of dealing with Lic filesTongue Tied [:S]

ill keep you posted on my findings!

Cheers,
Craig