Cannot turn on back and side wall borders

I am updating our code from Aspose Cells for Java 2.5.4.1 to 7.4.0. (I know finally)

I have most everything working except I am not able to get the side and back wall borders to display on 3D charts.

I have attached a zip file containing the Example code ChartDemoServlet.java modified to create
a 3D line chart with pretty much the settings I thought would work.

It also includes:
Work.xlsx is the output I currently get.
Work2.xlsx is the what the end result should be. (I copied Work.xlsx and manally made the changes.)

Hi,

Thanks for your posting and using Aspose.Cells for Java.

We have logged your issue in our database. We will investigate your issue and provide you a sample code.

In case of bug, we will fix it. Once, there is some update for you, we will share it with you asap.

This issue has been logged as CELLSJAVA-40437.

Hi,

Thanks for your posting and using Aspose.Cells for Java.

Currently we do not support to set side wall. We will support it soon.

For showing the border of backwall, please add one line of code like
following:

Java
Line wallsLine = chart.getWalls().getBorder();

wallsLine.setColor(Color.getBlack());

Thanks Shakeel,

Didn't realize I had to set the color since for other border settings just making it visible or setting it to SOLID seemed to default to black.

These settings in Aspose Cells are for the Walls object and in Excel Walls includes both the Back Wall and the Side Wall together. Seems like a bug if changing a Walls object setting only changes the Back Wall settings. If you check the resulting chart it looks like you are modifying the Excel Walls formatting but it is not affecting the Side Wall like it should.

I'm not really interested in being able to change the settings for the Back Wall and Side Wall separately just to have the Walls settings work like it does in Excel.
Though for completeness of being able to do what can be done in Excel, eventually having separate SideWall and BackWall objects seem appropriate.

Steve

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and further input.

We have logged your comments in our database against this issue id. We will look into your requirements and get back to you asap.

Hi,

Please download and try this latest fix/version: Aspose.Cells for Java (Latest Version)

Please use the following code to set
the border of the side wall:
e.g.

Line sideLine = chart.getSideWall().getBorder();

sideLine.setVisible(true);

sideLine.setStyle(LineType.SOLID);

sideLine.setWeight(10);

sideLine.setColor(Color.getBlack());

Since from Excel 2007 the walls of 3D chart have been splitted into two parts: side wall and back wall, so we have to use two wall objects to represent them separately and you can access them by
chart.getBackWall() and chart.getSideWall(). The older API, i.e…, chart.getWalls() currently is the same with back wall and will be deprecated in later versions.

Thank you.

Hi Amjad,

The change works great.

FYI, in Excel 2010 you can format both walls of 3D charts at the same time and you can format the side wall and back wall seperately.

When you initially select the walls both the side wall and back wall are selected and you can format both with a Walls Format dialog.

See attached zip file with images showing what both selected looks like and what the "Format Walls" dilaog looks like.

Having them separate is OK since it still allows me to set them both to what I want.

Steve

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and further input.

We have logged your comments in our database against this issue. Please spare us some time, we will look into your rest of requirements and update you asap.

I just ran into some issues with the Aspose Cell 7.4.0.3 that you asked me to try.

Once I create a workbook with Aspose with the settings suggested everything looks fine. The problem is when I open either the Chart Wall More Walls Options dialog or the Chart Floors More Floors Options dialog. See the images in zip file.

In the Walls case when I open the dialog the Back Wall borders disappear.

In the Floors case when I open the dialog the Floor settings disappear.

I have included a workbook generated by Aspose that looks OK and I have included an After workbook which was saved after opening both dialogs.

Hi,

Thanks for your further details and sample files plus screen shots.

I think you are right. When I open the generated output file e.g. “DisappearFloorandWalls.xlsx” into MS Excel 2007 and then click on the chart and then click Layout|Chart Floor, now click/select More Floor Options, the existing floor setting is gone. Similarly when I click on Chart Wall and click/select More Wall Options, now the existing wall settings is gone also.

I have logged your comments with details/attachments into our database against your existing issue “CELLSJAVA-40437”. We will look into it soon.

Thank you.

Hi,

After further investigation, we come to know that it should be the bug of MS Excel or behavior. For confirmation, please create a 3D chart in MS Excel, you will
get the same strange results.

Thank you.

Thanks Amjad,

You are correct, it is a strange behavior in Excel itself. It looks like the 7.4.0.3 version attached will work fine.
Steve

Hi,

Good to know that your confirmed this behavior in MS Excel.

If you find any other issue, let us know here.

Have a good day

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSJAVA-40437) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.