Can't load any PostScript files :-(

@markjordan

Thank you for sharing requested data and information.

We are investigating the scenario in our environment and will get back to you with our findings soon. In case we need any further information, we will request for it accordingly. Please be patient and spare us little time.

@markjordan

Thanks for sharing the sample project.

We tried to download the files from given link but we faced “403 Forbidden error” . Forbidden.png (3.1 KB)
Could you please upload the files over Dropbox and share the link with us.

Furthermore, please note that we were able to replicate the said error with the PS file which you had already shared with us. However, we were unable to notice the issue with PS file which is present in our GitHub repository as sample PS file. Before sharing the files through Dropbox, please make sure that your application can reproduce error with same input file, which is present in our GitHub example repository.

Hi Asad,

1. Here is a link to the file in dropbox: Dropbox - Release.7z - Simplify your life

2. I cannot reproduce the error with the file from your git repository… But the file I am using is a valid postscript file created by Microsoft Word. GhostScript can convert it without a problem. And even if the file was corrupt or invalid in some way, I’d expect Aspose.PDF to throw an exception, not just hang. Are you saying that because the file I’m using isn’t your exact file, then you can’t solve this problem?

3. I managed to narrow the problem down to a specific Resource in the Prolog section of my PostScript file. If I remove this resource, Aspose.PDF can open the file without a problem. This is of course not a real solution… But here is the problematic part:

%%BeginResource: file Pscript_WinNT_ErrorHandler 5.0 0
/currentpacking where{pop/oldpack currentpacking def/setpacking where{pop false
setpacking}if}if/$brkpage 64 dict def $brkpage begin/prnt{dup type/stringtype
ne{=string cvs}if dup length 6 mul/tx exch def/ty 10 def currentpoint/toy exch
def/tox exch def 1 setgray newpath tox toy 2 sub moveto 0 ty rlineto tx 0
rlineto 0 ty neg rlineto closepath fill tox toy moveto 0 setgray show}bind def
/nl{currentpoint exch pop lmargin exch moveto 0 -10 rmoveto}def/=={/cp 0 def
typeprint nl}def/typeprint{dup type exec}readonly def/lmargin 72 def/rmargin 72
def/tprint{dup length cp add rmargin gt{nl/cp 0 def}if dup length cp add/cp
exch def prnt}readonly def/cvsprint{=string cvs tprint( )tprint}readonly def
/integertype{cvsprint}readonly def/realtype{cvsprint}readonly def/booleantype
{cvsprint}readonly def/operatortype{(–)tprint =string cvs tprint(-- )tprint}
readonly def/marktype{pop(-mark- )tprint}readonly def/dicttype{pop
(-dictionary- )tprint}readonly def/nulltype{pop(-null- )tprint}readonly def
/filetype{pop(-filestream- )tprint}readonly def/savetype{pop(-savelevel- )
tprint}readonly def/fonttype{pop(-fontid- )tprint}readonly def/nametype{dup
xcheck not{(/)tprint}if cvsprint}readonly def/stringtype{dup rcheck{(()tprint
tprint())tprint}{pop(-string- )tprint}ifelse}readonly def/arraytype{dup rcheck
{dup xcheck{({)tprint{typeprint}forall(})tprint}{([)tprint{typeprint}forall(])
tprint}ifelse}{pop(-array- )tprint}ifelse}readonly def/packedarraytype{dup
rcheck{dup xcheck{({)tprint{typeprint}forall(})tprint}{([)tprint{typeprint}
forall(])tprint}ifelse}{pop(-packedarray- )tprint}ifelse}readonly def/courier
/Courier findfont 10 scalefont def end errordict/handleerror{systemdict begin
$error begin $brkpage begin newerror{/newerror false store vmstatus pop pop 0
ne{grestoreall}if errorname(VMerror)ne{showpage}if initgraphics courier setfont
lmargin 720 moveto errorname(VMerror)eq{userdict/ehsave known{clear userdict
/ehsave get restore 2 vmreclaim}if vmstatus exch pop exch pop PrtVMMsg}{
(ERROR: )prnt errorname prnt nl(OFFENDING COMMAND: )prnt/command load prnt
$error/ostack known{nl nl(STACK:)prnt nl nl $error/ostack get aload length{==}
repeat}if}ifelse systemdict/showpage get exec(%%[ Error: )print errorname
=print(; OffendingCommand: )print/command load =print( ]%%)= flush}if end end
end}dup 0 systemdict put dup 4 $brkpage put bind readonly put/currentpacking
where{pop/setpacking where{pop oldpack setpacking}if}if
%%EndResource

@markjordan

Thanks for sharing more details.

We apologize if any of our previous replies caused this confusion. We already were able to reproduce the error with your PS file and have logged the issue for correction as PDFNET-44892 in our issue tracking system. We will definitely investigate the issue that API is generating and let you know once we fix this.

Thanks for sharing these details, as these will definitely be helpful during investigation. We have also logged these details along with the issue. As soon as we make any significant progress towards resolution of the issue, we will let you know.

Meanwhile, we will also test the scenario while running the release which you have shared and address the issue as well, if found any.

We are sorry for the confusion and inconvenience caused.

Oh, OK! I apologize, I misunderstood.
I’m glad you’re working on this. Do you have an error log that I can track to see when the problem is resolved?

@markjordan

Thanks for your inquiry.

As the issue is logged under free support model, so I am afraid that you will not have access to ticket status. However, we will keep you posted with the status of ticket resolution in this forum thread. Furthermore, the logged issue will be investigated on first come first serve basis due to low priority. We also offer paid support model to our customers, where issues have high priority and are resolved on urgent basis. Additionally you can also check the ticket status in paid support model.

Asad - I appreciate your help, but you do understand that I’m a potential customer eager to spend $3000 on your product, and I can’t get it to work…

@markjordan

Thanks for sharing your concerns.

We have recorded your concerns and will definitely consider them while investigating the issue. We will further try to escalate the things regarding investigation of the issue and will surely inform you in case of any progress. Please spare us little time.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Hello,
It’s been almost a month. Are there any news?

@markjordan

Thanks for your inquiry.

We are pleased to share with you that your issue has been resolved and its fix will be included in Aspose.PDF for .NET 18.8, which will be released in next month. We will surely inform you further, when this version of the API is released.

Wonderful. Thank you very much.

Hello Asad. I understand that version 18.8 has just come out and is available for trial download? Was the problem solved in this version?

@markjordan

We are pleased to inform you that earlier logged issue PDFNET-44892 has been resolved in latest version Aspose.PDF for .NET 18.8. However, latest version is not yet available over NuGet for download and expected to be available in current week. As soon as it is available publicly, we will let you know.

@asad.ali

In checking the release notes for Aspose.PDF for .NET 18.8 and I don’t see PDFNET-44892 on the list, was it not included or is this a typo/missed in the notes?

1 Like

@doug.ludlow

Fix to your issue (filed as PDFNET-44892) was planned to be included in Aspose.PDF for .NET 18.8 but I am afraid to share that issue required more time to get resolved. At the moment, issue resolution has been postponed for future version(s) of the API. As soon as we have some reliable ETA to share, we will let you know. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Sad to hear that you haven’t resolved the issue yet.
By trial and error I managed to deduce that if I add the following line at the beginning of the PS file, Aspose manages to read it:
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=POSTSCRIPT

However, the output file I get is a blank PDF with the Aspose watermark on it. Is this happening because of the trial version? Am I missing something? Or is this another bug?

@markjordan

Thanks for contacting support.

We are pleased to inform you that your issue has been resolved in Aspose.PDF for .NET 18.9 which will be available for download in next week. We will surely notify you once the release is available for download over NuGet Gallery.

Please make sure to use valid license before using Aspose.PDF for .NET or consider applying 30-days temporary license to evaluate API without any limitation. In case issue still persists, please let us know.

I applied for a 30 day license and tried again. After manually adding the line
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=POSTSCRIPT
to the beginning of the PS file, I ran the conversion and get a blank page again.

I’m really trying to make this work because there are few products like yours, but it looks like it simply doesn’t function. Can you give me any advice to resolve this?

@markjordan

You were unable to get correct output because the fix was not available in the API version which you are using.

As shared earlier, the fix to your issue has been included in the upcoming version which is not available for download yet. Aspose.PDF for .NET 18.9 would be available for download in current week and we will let you know once it is released. We greatly appreciate your patience in this regard. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as PDFNET-44892) have been fixed in Aspose.PDF for .NET 18.9.