CCITT Conversion Bug

Hi,

We are creating a pdf document that has 1…n images of type CCITT Fax Group 4. Using the code below, this process fails. The end result is a pdf document that, when opened in Acrobat Reader, returns the error message “Insufficient data for an image”. NB, the file size of this file (with one image) is 50kb.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
image2.ImageInfo.File = “d:\inetpub\www-dev\Bag11083_X.tif”
image2.ImageInfo.ImageFileType = ImageFileType.Ccitt
image2.ImageInfo.BitsPerComponent = 1
image2.ImageInfo.IsBlack1 = True
image2.ImageInfo.OpenType = ImageOpenType.File
image2.ImageWidth = 2560
image2.ImageHeight = 1779
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have done some debugging on this issue…

* We have used Acrobat to add this image to a pdf document manually. When we view the results of this document in Acrobat Reader, all is well. NB, the file size of this file (with one image) is 54kb. When we view the results in Notepad, the Acrobat codes are also in order.

* When we view the pdf document created by aspose, the Acrobat codes appear to be in place, however the file is 4kb smaller.

Our deduction is that part of the stream is being lost when a possible CCITT conversion is being performed within the image2.ImageInfo.ImageFileType = ImageFileType.Ccitt property setter.

If you require files for testing, please send email to brendan.ingram@bagtrans.com.au and I will gladly send these through.

Thank you
Brendan Ingram

Dear Brendan,

Tommy will answer the questions you have asked later.

But now would you provide sample image files which can reproduce the bug and then email to pdf@aspose.com? Also please include the link for this post for easier reference.

Dear brendaningram,

Thanks for your consideration.

Would you please send your image to me? I will test it and reply to you soon.

Tommy,

He has sent the files to pdf@aspose.com. Please check it.

Dear brendaningram,

Thanks for your consideration.

There is really a bug about CCITT image. We need time to fix it. Since your image can display in tif format, you can set image type to tiff instead of ccitt.

Dear Brendan,

Please check the latest hot fix.

Brendan, your CCITT image files are not good enough so Aspose.Pdf can’t use them directly. Instead, we use image tool HyperSnap-DX 5 to re-transform them into CCITT files using Group31D, Group32D and Group4, then they can be inserted into Pdf files using Aspose.Pdf.

So could you fix your image files first?

Ben,

I am not sure that there is anything wrong with the images.

I have exported images from a number of other applications and they are not readable in aspose.pdf, where I have been able to read them in from a number of other software packages.

I looked on the web for an open source tiff library and application that supported CCITT image formats and found one on SourceForge. http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/. This application implements a TIFF library called TIFFLIB. There is a compiled application that is able to read in the file formats that we have without any issue.

On another note, I have been able to read in the images we sent you with adobe acrobat and create pdf file also with any issue.

From my investigations there seems to be nothing wrong with the images that we are using from our document scanning software, KOFAX Ascent Capture.

Please provide feedback on my comments.

Patrick.

Dear Patrick,

It will take more time than you can afford to wait for us to enable Aspose.Pdf to correctly use the files you have provided. As a quick workaround, could your KOFAX Ascent Capture directly save your image files into CCITT files with extension .fax, instead of the files with extension .tiff?

Please reply ASAP, then we can decide what to do next for your CCITT issue.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Dear Patrick,

We’re focusing on this issue now and hopefully you will get a hot fix for it November 10.

Thanks for your patience.