Cells Capabilities

We are evaluating the .Cells and .Grid component and I have a few technical questions. We have a very complex model developed in Excel/VBA. We are writing a wrapper application in .Net Winforms to provide some control/flow for inputing data and displaying the results. Here are my questions:

1. When using this component to read from and write to spreadsheets, does it require Excel being installed on the machine. In other words is this component just wrapping Microsofts Interop Services for Office automation?
  2. Does this compoenent work with the new .xlsm workbook formats in Excel 2007?
  3. Can I reference specific sheets within the workbook?
  4. Can I reaad and write to specific cells?
  5. Can I reference named ranges from the Name Manager through the component?
  6. Can I retrieve an array of values using a named range or R1C1:R1C1 notation?
  7. Can I call a function or subroutine written in a VBA module or sheet module?
  8. Is a call to VBA synchronous or asynchronous?
  9. Can a .xlsm file be renamed with a custom extension and still work with this component?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for considering Aspose.

When using this component to read from and write to spreadsheets, does it require Excel being installed on the machine. In other words is this component just wrapping Microsoft's Interop Services for Office automation?

No, Aspose.Cells is itself a spreadsheet generation/management engine that does not require MS Excel to be installed either on client or server side.

Does this compoenent work with the new .xlsm workbook formats in Excel 2007?

The feature is yet not supported, we will support it soon.

Can I reference specific sheets within the workbook?

Yes, you may do it, please check:

Can I reaad and write to specific cells?

Yes you can do it quite easily. Please check:

Can I reference named ranges from the Name Manager through the component?

Yes you can do it.

Can I retrieve an array of values using a named range or R1C1:R1C1 notation?

Yes you may do it.

. And you can import single or multi dimensional array of values to your worksheet cells using the APIs.

Can I call a function or subroutine written in a VBA module or sheet module?

No, we don't support to manipulate or call vba macros. Although Aspose.Cells will preserve the macro/ vba code when you load the file using its APIs and save the file with it.

Is a call to VBA synchronous or asynchronous?

No.

Can a .xlsm file be renamed with a custom extension and still work with this component?

No.

Thank you.

How long until you support Excel 2007 and the .xlsm format?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Well, we do support Excel 2007 .xlsx format. Related .xlsm format we will update you soon.

Thank you.

Hi,

Please try the attached version.

This version will preserve the macro/ vba data of an .xlsm format file when you load and save the file with it.

Kindly consult the following code:

string infn = @"E:\test\in.xlsm";

string outfn = @"E:\test\out.xlsm";

Workbook book = new Workbook();

book.Open(infn, FileFormatType.Excel2007Xlsm);

book.Save(outfn, FileFormatType.Excel2007Xlsm);

Thank you,