Cells Track Changes Exception after upgrading to 21.x from 20.11

Aspose Team,

We’ve noticed a degradation in the Aspose Cells implementation with regards to Track Changes
metadata from Excel documents when upgrading from version 20.11 to version 21.3 or 21.4. I’ve
attached a file that is now showing the problem and the a sample excerpt of code that should
reproduce the issue. The Workbook object creation throws an Exception - part of the stack trace also
shown below:

Java code sample (edited to show relevant contents)

try (FileInputStream inputStream = new FileInputStream(path)) {
		int loadFilterOptions = LoadDataFilterOptions.ALL & ~LoadDataFilterOptions.CHART &
                ~LoadDataFilterOptions.FORMULA & ~LoadDataFilterOptions.TABLE &
                ~LoadDataFilterOptions.PIVOT_TABLE;

LoadOptions loadOptions = new LoadOptions();
        loadOptions.setLoadFilter(new LoadFilter(loadFilterOptions));
        loadOptions.setMemorySetting(MemorySetting.MEMORY_PREFERENCE);
        Workbook workbook;
        try {
            workbook = new Workbook(inputStream, loadOptions);
		} catch (Exception e) {
			Logger.Error(e, "Error opening excel workbook.");
		}
	} catch (IOException e) {
        Logger.Error(e, "Unable to read excel file.");
    }

Please advise on whether there is some type of adjustment that can be made to handle this issue with one
of your more recent releases otherwise we may be forced to stay at version 20.11.

Thank you for your help.

Jerry

image.png (31.5 KB)
trackchanges_Revised2_for_Aspose_Bug.zip (35.9 KB)

@jmuth,

I tested the following sample code (it is same as yours) using latest version of Aspose.Cells for Java with your template Excel file and it works fine. I could not find any issue or exception what so ever.
e.g.
Sample code:

System.out.println(CellsHelper.getVersion());
        try {
            FileInputStream inputStream = new FileInputStream("f:\\files\\trackchanges_Revised2.xlsx");
            int loadFilterOptions = LoadDataFilterOptions.ALL & ~LoadDataFilterOptions.CHART &
                    ~LoadDataFilterOptions.FORMULA & ~LoadDataFilterOptions.TABLE &
                    ~LoadDataFilterOptions.PIVOT_TABLE;

LoadOptions loadOptions = new LoadOptions();
            loadOptions.setLoadFilter(new LoadFilter(loadFilterOptions));
            loadOptions.setMemorySetting(MemorySetting.MEMORY_PREFERENCE);
            Workbook workbook;
            try {
                workbook = new Workbook(inputStream, loadOptions);
                System.out.println("done!");
            } catch (Exception e) {
                System.out.println(e.getMessage());

}
        } catch (IOException e) {
            System.out.println(e.getMessage());

}

I tested it on Windows8 with JDK1.8.

My apologies, Amjad. I zipped up the wrong test file when I was uploading the file.

Please try this file instead.

Thank you,
Jerry
trackchanges_Revised_For_Aspose.zip (37.2 KB)

@jmuth,
We have logged the issue as “CELLSJAVA-43446” in our database for investigations. Once we will have some news for you, we will update you in this topic.

Thank you for your help. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Jerry

@jmuth,

Sure, please spare us little time. Hopefully your issue will be figured out soon.

Since there is someone else on our team interested in this issue, would it be possible to also allow aweech@epiqglobal.com to view this support thread, Amjad?

@jmuth,

I have made this thread “public” (previously it was set as “private” thread). Now your team can access the thread.

Let us know if we can be of any further help.

@jmuth,
This is to inform you that we have fixed your issue now. We will soon provide you the fixed version after performing QA and incorporating other enhancements and fixes.

@jmuth,
Please try our latest fix: Aspose.Cells for Java v21.4.2:

aspose-cells-21.4.2-java.zip (7.3 MB)

Your issue should be fixed in it.

Let us know your feedback.

Thank you for your timely response in this matter! We will test the code today and provide feedback when our tests are completed.

Jerry

@jmuth,

Please take your time to evaluate the new fix. It works fine using it with your test cases as we tested. Hopefully it will fix your issue on your end.

Amjad,

Do you know when this version will be available for an official release? We typically don’t integrate pre-release code into our dependency chain. Thanks.

Jerry

@jmuth,

Please note, Aspose.Cells for Java v21.4.2 is an interim release. We post interim releases in the forums for the users, so they do not have to wait much to get fixes. Interim releases are fully tested and pass QA. The interim release contains all the functionality full fledged (of previous official release) + new fixes and enhancements. So, it is completely safe to use interim release in production server as well.

Please note, we publish official release once in a month on both Downloads (section) and Maven repos. The official release includes the functionality of previous official release(s) plus new fixes and other enhancements (which were bundled into interim releases). We usually publish the official release in the second half of the month (Next official version (e.g Aspose.Cells for Java v21.5) is expected to be published in the third week of May 2021).

Hope, this helps a bit.

Thanks, Amjad. Our testing has confirmed this build is working for us as expected. Thank you, too, for clarifying the interim vs. full release cycle.

Jerry

@jmuth,
You are welcome.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSJAVA-43446) have been fixed in this update.