Charts Not Appearing in Slide Thumbnails

We are converting PPT files to thumbnails and have an issue where Charts and Graphs do not appear in the thumbnails. The are Microsoft Graph images (OLEObjects) placed there by the clients. I’ve read some postings where we would need Aspose.metafiles to handle this.

Can aspose.metafiles help us to create the thumbnail we’re after or is it only useful for reading the OLEObject? Please provide some guidance on how to proceed.

Dear Smith,

You will just add a reference to Aspose.Metafiles jar file like you added a reference to Aspose.Slides. You don’t need any change in your code though.

Thanks. This worked like a charm. However, we’ve run into issues where the charts included in some slides lose their colors when the thumbnail is create. They appear in grayscale or wireframes.

Please advise.

Is this occurring with any presentation or with specific presentation? Please attach some sample so that technical team could replicate it and fix it.

It is happening on some but not all graphs. I have attached one example PPT file and its resulting thumbnail. Let me know if you need additional samples.

Thanks!!

Were you able to examine the sample I provided and find a problem?

Are you getting any exception?

Anyway technical team is looking into it and will fix it as soon as possible.

No errors nor exceptions. Do you have a time estimate for a fix?

Is there something we can do in the meantime as a work-around?

Hello,

That is problem of Aspose.Metafiles. It doesn’t fill chart shapes with gradient. Currently we don’t know the source of the problem yet but will try to find it and fix in a few days.

Hi,

Just checking in to see if any progress has been made in fixing this problem?

Thanks!

Hello,

The problem has been fixed and we released new version of Aspose.Metafiles. You can download it here.

Thank you!

Since you released a fix for Aspose.Metafiles that deals with charts all has been well, thank you. However, will you look at the attached one-slide PPT and figure why the graph on it does not appear at all when converted to an image? I’ve extracted this slide from a presentation that contains several nearly identical charts all of which appear just fine. So, what’s wrong with this one?

Thank you.

Hello,

The chart metafile size is 5292x2096 pixels so when Aspose.Slides try to create such huge bitmap then available heap size is not enough. Aspose.Slides catch the OutOfMemory exception internally but chart is not rendered. The most simple temporary solution is increase JRE heap size. Anyway, we will try to find better workaround for large metafiles.

Thank you.

Alexey,

We have run into another issue when creating a thumbnail using Aspose Slides and Meta files for Java. Please see the attached PPT file. When we create thumbnails of these slides the tables come out as black boxes.

I have updated to Meta Files 1.5 and Slides 1.9 to no avail.

Please advise.

-Paul

Hello Paul,

It looks like that is Aspose.Metafiles problem.We will investigate it and I will let you know about results.

Thank you for the presentation example.

Hello,

Just looking for an update. Have you been able to solve this metafiles issue?

If it helps, my understanding is the PPT file in question was originally an Office 2007 file that was “Saved As…” a 2003 PPT file.

Thanks.

Another update.

In this particular example we tried to clone the slides and that, too, is unsuccessful. The cloned slide shows a broken image in place of the tables.

Can you tell me what is wrong with the images/tables used in these slides?

Hello,

We are working on this issue. You will be informed as soon as fix will be available. Thank you for the patienсe.