Concatenating PDF/A documents results in a non PDF/A compliant document

Recently I’ve been converting our application to only output PDF/A-1b documents. This has so far been going well, until I tried to convert functionality where multiple documents (all generated by our application) are concatenated using Aspose.Pdf.Kit. What happens is that the PDF/A-1b compliance is lost in the output document, although all the single documents are indeed compliant and generated by Aspose.Words.

I already contacted support to check if this is supposed to happen, but support assureme this isn’t the case, and recommended to use the latest components and devise a test application to reproduce the behaviour.

So I have created a little test application with the latest Aspose components, which seems to be validating my observation. I would like you to prove me different ;-).

In essence, I’ve got the following components:
Aspose.Words 9.4.0.0
Aspose.Pdf.Kit 4.8.0.0

The test application does the following:
- It takes a Word 2010 document (docx) as input.
- Then it uses Aspose.Words to create 2 PDF/A-1b compliant PDF documents.
- Aspose.Pdf.Kit is then used to concatenate these two PDF documents into one.

The problem is, the output generated by Aspose.Pdf.Kit is not PDF/A-1b compliant.

The ways I have used to confirm that they are not compliant are the following:

1) Adobe reader (by default) shows a blue header on the top of a PDF document if this is PDF/A compliant. It does so with the two documents generated by Aspose.Words, but does not show this header in the Aspose.Pdf.Kit output file.

2) I used ‘3-Heights™ PDF Validator’ evaluation version (Pdftools | Developer SDKs & solutions for PDF and PDF/A) to validate the documents.

The output of the Aspose.Words generated document is:
> pdfvalidator.exe -cl pdfa-1b -rd -v pdf-output-1.pdf
Validating file pdf-output-1.pdf
PDF library evaluation version, created Sep 2010
Done.

The output of the Aspose.Pdf.Kit generated document is:
> pdfvalidator.exe -cl pdfa-1b -rd -v output.pdf
Validating file output.pdf
PDF library evaluation version, created Sep 2010
0, 35, 0x80410604, “The key Metadata is required but missing.”, 1
2, -1, 0x00418704, “The font Times-Roman must be embedded.”, 1
2, -1, 0x83410612, “The document does not conform to the requested standard.”, 1

So if this isn’t expected behaviour, what’s causing this to happen? I attached my test project. I am looking forward to your findings. Thanks in advance.

Niels

Hi Niels,

I have also reproduced this issue at my end and logged it as PDFKITNET-20309 in our issue tracking system. Our team needs to investigate this issue in detail and then resolve it. You’ll be updated via this forum thread once it is fixed.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.
Regards,