Concatenating pdf portfolio to a pdf

It appears that adobe has a portfolio pdf type that automatically gets created when creating a pdf from a Microsoft Outlook email. The program I have written takes multiple pdf documents and concatenates them together into one master pdf. Problem we have is the portfolio pdfs appear as a blank page in the merged pdf.

What is the proper way to identify and handle these pdfs and something other then a blank page show up?

Thanks

Hi Eric,

Can you please share sample PDF files with us, so we could test the issue at our end? You’ll be updated with the results accordingly.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.
Regards,

I have sent the requested files using the Contact --> send email option.

Hi Eric,

I have tested the file at my end, however I couldn’t reproduce the problem. In fact, I’m having a different issue and that is only the portfolio file is getting concatenated. So, that is something different from your issue.

Can you please share a small sample project, including the code snippet and the other related files, which can reproduce the issue at our end? This will help us focus on your particular issue.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your cooperation.
Regards,

I just tested this with the same sample project that I sent you yesterday for our other issue and saw the same results on my end (blank page). If you replace file #2 in that other project with the test email from this issue it should give you the same results I had. If it doesn't let me know and I will zip up the sample project again and send it.

Thanks

Hi Eric,

I have again tested this issue using your sample project and following your suggestion, however I’m still having the same results, as I mentioned earlier. Are you using Aspose.Pdf.Kit for .NET 4.5.0? If not, can you please download it and try at your end? Actually, I just wanted to make sure that we’re on the same page before I log the issue for further investigation.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your cooperation.
Regards,

I thought my project had 4.5 but it was actually using an older version instead. When I switch to 4.5 I get the same results as you (only the portfolio showing)

Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for confirming this. Now, we’ll be focusing on this particular issue; I have logged this issue as PDFKITNET-17467 in our issue tracking system. Our team will look into this issue and you’ll be updated via this forum thread once it is resolved.

Regards,

Now that we are on the same page of how this is working…
How should it be working?

Also is there any way to identify the pdf as a portfolio pdf? We may want to throw an error when this type of pdf is present vs concatenating it to our master pdf.

Hi Eric,

Our team has further investigated this issue and I would like to share with you that the portfolio files are quite different in nature from the simple PDF files because the portfolio files are represented with collection entry in the document catalog dictionary; that’s why it is causing problem while concatenating it with simple PDF files. Can you please elaborate a little bit why you would like to concatenate these different types of files?

Moreover, in our next release – due at the end of June – we’re going to provide a feature which will allow you to check whether a file is a portfolio PDF file, so that you can avoid concatenating such files. Will that work for you? Please share your thoughts.

Regards,

shahzad.latif:

Our team has further investigated this issue and I would like to share with you that the portfolio files are quite different in nature from the simple PDF files because the portfolio files are represented with collection entry in the document catalog dictionary; that's why it is causing problem while concatenating it with simple PDF files. Can you please elaborate a little bit why you would like to concatenate these different types of files?

We have a system that allows users to attach documents to a record. When that record is completed we produce a report of that record and merge a pdf copy of any of those attachments to the report. The attachments could come from anywhere and contain anything. What we are seeing lately is the users are attaching pdfs created from Outlook using Acrobat 9. Creating a pdf under certain circumstances from Outlook creates a portfolio pdf vs the normal simple pdf. Most of the time the users don’t even realize they created the portfolio pdf and don’t intend/want to. For our purposes we would like to the see the portfolio flattened or flag so we can throw an error if its present.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

shahzad.latif:

Moreover, in our next release -- due at the end of June -- we're going to provide a feature which will allow you to check whether a file is a portfolio PDF file, so that you can avoid concatenating such files. Will that work for you? Please share your thoughts.

That would be great, we can work with that!

Hi Eric,

It looks like that the feature of identifying the portfolio PDF files would help you in the current scenario. Moreover, I have updated our development team with the detailed scenario, so that the team would be able to further investigate the possibility of concatenating the portfolio files somehow; however, I’m afraid, this might not be feasible in short time.

Regards,

After reading this post:

Identifying a PDF Portfolio - #2 by shahzadlatif - Free Support Forum - aspose.com

I see that identifying if the pdf is a portfolio pdf is fixed:
The issues you have found earlier (filed as 17286) have been fixed in this update.

How do we do this?

Hi Robert,

We had introduced this feature in our previous version, however due to certain issues it is not available in this latest release. We’ll try to fix this issue and this feature will be available in our next release or we might try to provide you a hot fix, if feasible.

Regards,

We just started having this same issue. It seems we're doing the same thing as Robert. We get multiple PDF files and then concatonate them into one larger PDF while putting a cover page, TOC, headers and footers. Now these PDF Portfolio's are breaking on us.

Ideally, it would be nice if we could concatonate the 2 types together. Is this possible?

Also, I see this was resolved in the .net 4.5 version. Was it fixed in the .net 3.5 version?

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for contacting support.

Are you facing issue while creating Portfolio PDF or the problem is occurring while concatenating the PDF files ? Can you please share some sample documents so that we can test the scenario at our end. Please note that PDF Portfolio is a collection of PDF file and if we try to concatenate PDF portfolio with normal PDF files, the resultant PDF will not display the normal PDF files (it depends upon the behavior of PDF viewing application).

I have tested the scenario where I have used two sample PDF documents (One portfolio and other normal PDF file) where I have specified the target platform of application as .NET Framework 3.5 and as per my observations, the resultant PDF is being generated.