Convert to tiff not working correctly

We have a number (1.4 million) of stored .doc documents some of which have formatting issues when converted to .tiff documents. Some characters show up as square boxes instead of blanks, some formatting commands do not work correctly (such as right justify on a table causes the table to flatten to one side and no data appears in the cells).

When the document is rendered in Word and printed to a tiff file it works fine. When Aspose is used all these formatting problems show up.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your inquiry. Could you please attach your input Word document here for testing? I will investigate the issue on my side and provide you more information.

Best Regards,

Sent as email separately just in case

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your inquiry. I would suggest you please upgrade to Aspose.Words version 11.8.0. You can download it from the following link:

https://downloads.aspose.com/words/net

I hope, this helps.

Moreover, I have attached the TIFF file, i.e. generated on my side using Aspose.Words v11.8.0, here for your reference.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Will upgrading from 11.6 to 11.8 require a license change?

Hi Awais -

We ran the document through our converter using both the 11.8.0 and 11.8.1 dlls and encountered the same problem. Here is the code we use:

Dim doc As New Aspose.Words.Document("C:\Data\FileNet\Test\21180376_Aspose.doc")
Dim options As ImageSaveOptions = New ImageSaveOptions(SaveFormat.Tiff)
options.TiffCompression = TiffCompression.Ccitt3
options.Resolution = 300
doc.Save("C:\Data\FileNet\Test\21180376_Aspose.tif")

What else should we be doing?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the additional information. First of all, please note that every production Aspose license carries a one-year subscription for free upgrades to any new versions or fixes that come out during this time. So, after one year, you just will not be able to upgrade Aspose.Words to latest version, but license will still work with versions issued within one year after license acquisition. Moreover, to check an expiration date of your license, please open the license file using notepad. You will see the following tags:

It means that you can freely upgrade to version of Aspose.Words published before 02/18/2011.

Secondly, I have converted your ‘21180376.doc’ to tiff format using the code you provided in your previous post with Aspose.Words v11.8.0 on my side and attach it here for your reference. Please create a screen shot that highlights the problematic areas in this TIFF file and attach it here for further investigation.

Best Regards,

Hi Awais -

Attached is the tiff file which shows the problem. See the boxes in the underscored tick marks in the body of the letter. We tried this is VS 2005 and VS 2008 (using the .NET 3.5 dll) to no effect.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the additional information. I suspect you’re using older version of Aspose.Words. I would suggest you please upgrade to Aspose.Words version 11.8.0. You can download it from the following link:

https://downloads.aspose.com/words/net

I hope, this will help in resolving this issue.

Best Regards,

We looked at the dll’s properties in Visual Studio that we freshly downloaded from your site prior to running the conversion program and the release level is 11.8.0.0. I am not sure if there is any other way to insure that we are using the correct release. Please advise. I am attaching our VS project. It is VS 2005 (we tried 2008 and had no change in the results). All machines are running XP.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the additional information. Previously, I was testing your scenario on Windows 7; but, when I tested it over an XP machine, I managed to reproduce this issue on my side too. I have logged this issue in our bug tracking system. The issue ID is WORDSNET-7170. Your request has also been linked to this issue and you will be notified as soon as it is resolved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Thx for the info and the trouble ticket. We are setting up a Windows 7 machine for testing as well.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your inquiry.

The responsible developer has finished analysing your issue. The problem occurs because those square boxes are actually En Space characters (codepoint 0x2002). Times New Roman font is used for displaying this character. Apparently, the version of Times New Roman installed in Windows XP does not contain glyphs for General Punctuation Unicode block to which En Space belongs. On the other hand, Windows 7 has the version of the font with that block present. This is why the square box is seen in Windows XP but not in Windows 7. So, I would suggest you to please install the newer version of Times New Roman as a workaround. Also, please read more about the two different Times New Roman Font’s versions below:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/

If we can help you with anything else, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your patience. It is to update you that our development team has finished working on your issue (WORDSNET-7170) and has come to a conclusion that your issue and the behaviour you’re observing in Windows XP is actually not a bug in Aspose.Words. So, we’ve closed this issue as ‘Not a Bug’. If we can help you with anything else, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,