Converting PDF/UA to PDF/A-1a

Is it possible to convert a PDF/UA file to PDF/A-1a?

Working with an application that converts documents to PDF/A-1a for archiving. Using Aspose PDF 23.3. Now I’m trying to convert PDF/UA but ran into problems.

Made a simple test that first converts a minimal word document to PDA/UA and then convert the output to PDF/A-1 and I get the following in the log.

<Compliance Name="Log"
            Operation="Validation"
            Target="PDF/A-1A">
	<Version>1.0</Version>
	<Copyright>Copyright (c) 2001-2023 Aspose Pty Ltd. All Rights Reserved.</Copyright>
	<Date>2023-05-14 21:53:48</Date>
	<File Version="1,7"
	      Name=""
	      Pages="1">
		<Security/>
		<Catalog/>
		<Problem Severity="Error"
		         Clause="Annex"
		         ObjectID="18"
		         Convertable="True">Object is compressed</Problem>
		         Clause="Annex"
		         Convertable="True">The xref stream is prohibited</Problem>
		         Clause="6.4"
		         Page="0"
		         Convertable="False">The transparency is prohibited ('Group' key)</Problem>
		         Clause="6.4"
		         Page="1"
		         Convertable="False">The transparency is prohibited ('Group' key)</Problem>
		<Header/>
		<Annotations/>
		<Fonts/>
		<trailer/>
		<Metadata/>
		<objects/>
		<xObjects/>
		<actions/>
		         Clause="6.4"
		         Page="1"
		         Convertable="True">ExtGState 'ca' value shall be 1.0</Problem>
	</File>
</Compliance>

@010101

Is it mandatory for your workflow to generate a PDF/UA document from Word file in the first place? If you can generate a simple plain PDF from word, you can later convert it into PDF/A-1A using Aspose.PDF. Can you please share your sample document for our reference so that we can test the scenario in our environment and address it accordingly?

I’m building a microservice that converts PDF to PDF/A-1A (for later archiving).
Clients will usually send in PDF 1.7 but there might be cases where PDF/UA is sent.

VeraPDF will also be used to validate that the resulting PDF is a PDF/A-1A and during my testing I noticed that if a PDF/UA is sent in then the validation will fail. So that’s why I created this test to first genereate a PDF/UA, convert it to PDF/A-1A and finally validate with Aspose.

pdf_ua.pdf (38.6 KB)

@010101

We tried to use below code snippet in our environment to achieve your requirements but, the output PDF was corrupted:

var document = new Document(dataDir + @"pdf_ua.pdf");
document.RemovePdfUaCompliance();
document.Convert(dataDir + "outputpdfa.pdf", PdfFormat.PDF_A_1A, ConvertErrorAction.Delete);

Therefore, we have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): PDFNET-54716

You can obtain Paid Support Services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.

Will it also be solved in java?

@010101

We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): PDFJAVA-42841

You can obtain Paid Support Services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.