Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Corrupt PPT File if opened with Mac after adding picture to existing PPT

Dear Aspose Support,

for quite some time now we encountered a problem where the ppt files generated by Aspose.Slides
cannot be opened on an apple computer (Microsoft Office for Mac (2011 and prior). As a workaround we opened the generated ppt with Office interop and resaved it. That fixes the problem but is not a suitable solution.

The problem arises only if an existing ppt file is opened and an picture is added to it.

For your convenience I will attach a zip File containing an example C# project demonstrating the issue as well as a screenshot and the translation of the error message Office displays when trying to open a file on a mac. The project also contains two template files we use to generate our ppts, both can be opened on office for mac without a problem, but if edited with aspose.cells the nonworking.ppt fails.

For the C# project to compile correctly you need to add a reference to the aspose.slides.dll and set the license to an appropriate value (as it is not contained in the ZIP file)

Your timely help is very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Regards
Kristoffer Witt

Hi Kristoffer,

I have observed the code snippet shared by you and have been able to observe the issue specified. An issue with ID 29130 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has also been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue is resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Hi Mudassir,

are there any news on this issue? As this post is more than two month old and nothing seems to have happened!

Regards
Kristoffer

Hi Kristoffer,

I regret to share that unfortunately the issue shared has not been scheduled. Actually, our development team is extremely busy in resolving already pending Enterprise and Priority Support issues. However, I have still requested our development team to share the updated status on the issue. I will share the information with you once there are any updates available.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Almost one year has passed now and still no change? I must say I am quite disappointed. Slides is a good product but this kind of support is terrible. This problem keeps Apple users from using a core functionality of our product. Please schedule it asap.

Thank you for your time.

Hi
Kristoffer,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience. Actually, the issue has been blocked due to some dependence on some internal issues that needs to be fixed for this. However, I am getting in contact with our development team lead to share the current status of implementation and some defined ETA with you in this regard. I will share the information with you as soon as I will get some further information.

Once again, we are greatly sorry for your inconvenience,

Hi Mudassir,

thank you for your quick response. I hope you will have some good news after all.

While at it, another problem with mac-office arised: When adding a audio-file that is located in a subfolder and inserting it with “slide.Shapes.AddAudioFrameLinked” the mac will not be able to find it. We tried the following relative path variants: “subfolder/file.mp3”, “./subfolder/file.mp3”, “subfolder\file.mp3” and “subfolder:file.mp3” (As Office for Mac complains if a file is inserted manually). If you like me too I will open another thread.

Thank you for your time.

PS:
It is very easy to reproduce, just create a new project, and add the follwing code:

public Form1()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
        }

protected override void OnLoad(EventArgs e)
        {
            base.OnLoad(e);
            TestMacAudioMp3Frame();
        }

private void TestMacAudioMp3Frame()
        {
            Aspose.Slides.Presentation p = new Aspose.Slides.Presentation();

Aspose.Slides.Slide s = p.AddEmptySlide();
            Aspose.Slides.AudioFrame vframe = s.Shapes.AddAudioFrameLinked(10,10, 100, 100,"./subfolder/test.mp3");

p.Save("test.ppt", Aspose.Slides.Export.SaveFormat.Ppt);
        }
    }
}

Hi
Kristoffer ,

I have observed the issue shared by you. I have not been able to verify it Windows 7 environment. Unfortunately, presently I don’t have MAC environment on my end but I am trying to manage that and will take a day for me to setup the environment. I will reply you with my feedback as soon as I will complete my investigation.

Many Thanks,

Thank you for your time.

It is limited to MacOs only. Office for Windows works fine.

Hi Kristoffer,

I am setting up MAC environment on my end and will share the response with you as soon as possible.

Many Thanks,

Hi Kristoffer,

Thanks for your patience. I have set up the Mac Lion 10.7 environment with latest available version of Mono. I have observed the issue shared by you and have been able to reproduce it. However, the issue share does not seem to be related to Aspose.Slides as the same thing works fine when even you copy the MAC Mono generated presentation to Windows format. The issue lies in how to set the relative path for MAC. I have tried different variants on my end this weekend and have not found any luck. I have created an issue with ID SLIDESNET-33596 as enhancement so that our development team may have a look over it and provide some appropriate solution.

Meanwhile, I have also observed that if you place audio file along side generated presentation and does not provide any relative path while linking the audio frame with file but only the audio file name; then things work in Mac even. For the time being you may follow this approach until some response is shared by our development team.

I also like to share that we are perusing your other issue as well and will be able to share the ETA with you once after investigation will be completed by our development team by this weekend.

Many Thanks,

Hello Mudassir,

thank you again for your support. I’ve googled a bit and found a solution for the mp3 problem:
The relative path has to be set with a starting “/”, so “/subfolder/test.mp3” seems to work.

Embedded videos on the other hand work without adding the leading slash, just by using “subfolder\video.mpg”.

Hope to hear soon from you regarding the corrupt file problem.

Regards,
Kristoffer

Hi Kristoffer,

That is really appreciable that things have been sorted on your end. I will share the update related to other issue as soon as they will be shared by our development team.

Many Thanks,

another finding: it does NOT work under Office for Mac 2008. So I can only say it works under Office for Mac 2011…

Hi Kristoffer,

Thanks for your updates. I like to share that I already have observed the issue with Mac Office 2008 and have updated the issue status accordingly. I will update you further once the issue will be resolved.

Many Thanks,

Hello Mudassir,

it seems as if one issue has been fixed? Is there a hotfix available?

We have just bought a Priority Support License, please handle the still unresolved issue accordingly.

Thank you for your help!

Regards K.Witt

PS:
Do I need to create the same entry in the priority forum as well?

Hi Kristoffer,

I like to share that the fix for SLIDESNET-29130 will be available in Aspose.Slides for .NET 6.6.0 which is due for release during last decade of August, 2012. Secondly, I have requested our development team to kindly schedule the issue for relative path setting for investigation on their end. I will be able to share the further information related to that as soon as some information will be shared related to that by our development team.

I also like to add further that presently priority support service for Aspose.Slides has been on halt from last six month due to ongoing auto porting activity of converting Aspose.Slides for .NET features to Aspose.Slides for Java. We will be able to share the good news related to its resumption as soon as it will be available or in the mean while you may consult our purchase team for further updates.

Many Thanks,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESNET-29130) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESNET-33596) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.