Crashing on older powerpoint files

I have found that certain older Powerpoint files throw numerous exceptions. In console application exceptions will be absorbed, but running a GUI app in mono, the whole app crashes with a SIGBUS as a result of these exception. Perhaps Aspose.Slides could catch these exceptions more carefully? Or is there some flag I can set to prevent these exceptions from being raised?

An example a crashing powerpoint file may be seen here:
http://paperlesshymnal.com/tph/free/vol1/Joyful_Joyful.ppt

My program looks like this:

using System;
using Aspose.Slides;

namespace SlideExtractor
{
class MainClass
{
static void Main(string[] args)
{
Console.WriteLine(“Using Aspose.Slides version {0}”, Aspose.Slides.BuildVersionInfo.AssemblyVersion);
Presentation pres = new Presentation(“c:\tmp\presentation.ppt”);
}
}
}

When I run this application in the Visual Studio debugger (with the presentation being tested copied/renamed appropriately) I received the following output:

A first chance exception of type ‘Aspose.Slides.PptException’ occurred in Aspose.Slides.dll
A first chance exception of type ‘Aspose.Slides.PptException’ occurred in Aspose.Slides.dll
A first chance exception of type ‘System.NullReferenceException’ occurred in Aspose.Slides.dll

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Hi Todd,

I have observe the exception shared by you. Can you please share the presentation files with us for further investigation on our end. Please also share that have you tried the latest version of Aspose.Slides for .NET 6.2…0 as well.

Many Thanks,

Mudassir,

I am indeed using the latest version of Aspose.Slides for .NET 6.2.0: I downloaded it just yesterday.

The file in question was linked in my first message. However, I will also attach it here.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Todd,

Thanks for sharing the presentation. I have worked with the presentation file using Visual Studio environment and it worked fine. Can you please share the Mono environment details in which you have observed the issue so that I may work over it to help you out further.

Many Thanks,

Mudassir,

Thank you for looking into this.

It happens that I am using a lightly customized version of Mono 2.10.9 embedded in a Cocoa application. Cocoa doesn’t know what to do with these exceptions coming out of Mono and shuts down with a SIGBUS.

It’s true that despite the exceptions, above, the file in question is imported successfully by Aspose. It runs fine (with the exceptions) in command line applications under Mono or Visual Studio and in a WPF application under Visual Studio.

But even when it “works fine” it still throws those exceptions: they are simply handled by the applications in most cases. Aspose also works fine in my Cocoa/Mono application, without throwing exceptions, on all the newer Powerpoint files I’ve tried. But occasionally I find an older file, such as the one linked in this thread, which causes Aspose to throw these exceptions, which causes my application to crash.

If the exceptions were fixed such that they didn’t report any longer in VisualStudio, then I expect I should no longer have any problems in Mono either.

–Todd

Hi Todd,

I am sorry for the delayed response.

I regret to share that I don’t possess the environment shared by you. However, I have created an issue with ID SLIDESNET-33433 in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. I will share the response with you as soon as it will be shared by our development team.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,