Creating a Thumbnail for Slide with Chart - Unacceptable Performance and Memory Usage

Dear Aspose developers,
Our software needs to create high-resolution thumbnails from PPTX pages. We don’t face any problems with that unless slides contains charts. Attached please find a sample PPTX with chart (see /test folder), and a test project. Creating a thumbnail takes 8+ minutes and memory usage peak was 6.5+ Gigabytes during this operation. This is unacceptable performance for our customers.
The test PC was: Intel i5 3.10 Hz, 16 Gb RAM, Windows 7, Java 11.0.11.
What would you suggest?
Thank you!
aspose-test.zip (85.0 KB)

@dkane,
Thank you for contacting support.

Our development team is constantly working on improving the performance and memory consumption of Aspose.Slides. Your code example attempts to generate slide thumbnails with scale=7 for both dimensions. The images have to be huge. In addition, charts usually consist of a large number of elements. Unfortunately, all this requires a lot of resources. The only thing that can be done for now is not to use the scale with large values.

Documents: Convert Slide

@Andrey_Potapov ,
I wouldn’t say 5000 x 3000 pixels (produced for scale=7) is really “huge” image in today’s world.
Anyway, we tried also scale=3 and 1 for the same presentation.
With scale=3, it takes 1.9Gb of memory and 1.5 minutes to make a screenshot - still not ok.
With scale=1, it was 600 Mb and 10 seconds - well, considerable, but resulting 720 x 540 pixels screenshot does not meet our needs. Too small.
This chart is very simple, actually it is populated with default data that appears in Powerpoint when you select “Add…chart”. Real customer’s charts will contain more points in most cases.

@dkane,
I’ve reproduced the problem with rendering slide thumbnails and added a ticket with ID SLIDESJAVA-38706 in our issue tracking system. Our development team will investigate this case. We will inform you of any progress.

1 Like

@Andrey_Potapov, yet another issue about screenshot. For the following chart (example) screenshot contains only axises, chart data disappears: 3d_diagram.zip (39.1 KB)

@dkane,
Thank you for the presentation example. I’ve reproduced the problem with converting the presentation slide to an image and added a ticket with ID SLIDESJAVA-38716 in our issue tracking system. Our development team will also investigate this case. You will be notified when the issue is resolved.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-38716) have been fixed in Aspose.Slides for Java 22.8 (ZIP).
You can check all fixes on the Release Notes page.
You can also find the latest version of our library on the Product Download page.