Creating "named destination" in PDF document

Hello,

I want to open PDF document at a specific location. To do this the PDF document must contain named destination, to which the URL is linked. Is it possible to create a named destination with this product?

Thank you

Hi Dejan,

Thank you very much for considering Aspose.

I’m afraid, I couldn’t understand your requirement; can you please elaborate a little bit?

We’re looking forward to help you out.
Regards,

Hi,

Sorry for not being clear enough. I want to create a link on a HTML page which opens a PDF document at a specific location (for example at Chapter 3). According to this http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/317/317300.html the PDF document must contain a destination. Destinations can be created manually with Adobe Acrobat, but is it possible to create such destinations programmatically with Aspose?

Regards,
Dejan

Hi Dejan,

I would like to share with you that Aspose.Pdf.Kit allows you to manipulate an existing PDF file i.e. its contents, pages and other attributes, however the requirement you have mentioned doesn’t lie under this criteria. In fact, you want to redirect to a particular page of a PDF from a URL specified in an HTML page: for example,

I think you can use the programming language of your choice to form the dynamic URLs like above, if you don’t want to use static HTML. However, I’m afraid, Aspose.Pdf.Kit doesn’t provide this kind of functionality.
Nevertheless, if you want to manipulate the actual PDF file then you can use Aspose.Pdf.Kit. If you think that I haven’t understood your requirement then please correct me.
Should you have any further questions, please do let us know.
Regards

Hi,

I’m not sure if you understood my question, so I will rephrase it.

I want to redirect to a specific text in a PDF document (not page) from HTML page using this type of link. I have no problem creating a link. If I want the example link to work correctly the PDF document myfile.pdf must contain an attribute of type destination named “glossary”. Am I right?
So the question is: can I add an attribute of type destination to a PDF document with Aspose?
Regards,
Dejan

Hi Dejan,

Thank you very much for the clarification.

I’m sorry to inform you that creating a named destination is currently not supported by Aspose.Pdf.Kit. However, I have logged this requirement as PDFKITNET-14132 in our issue tracking system. Our team will look into this requirement and you’ll be updated via this forum thread once the issue is resolved.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.
Regards,

Hi, is there any progress on this issue?

We definitively need named destinations in a project we are working on - where we are evaluating using Aspose.Words for converting a number of word documents to PDF.

We need the capability of linking to the exact spot of a heading in the documents, the page where the heading resides is really not good enough. (Not to mention that we have a huge number of documents with the same sections - we wish to link to the various sections in a standardized manner. Named destinations seem to fit the bill perfectly)

If we have to post-process the created PDF to insert the needed named destinations, we can probably live with that - but we need a way to do this!

Thank you,
Åsmund Grøstad

Hi Åsmund,

Our team is investigating this requirement, however I’m afraid, it is not yet resolved. I would like to share with you that this is a new requirement which needs to be supported in the component, and it might not be available in short time. We’ll update you via this forum thread once it is supported.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.
Regards,

Has this feature been implemented yet? This would save a lot of time and effort in our next project.

I can’t see how to create a destination object / tag in code so I assume not…

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for your patience.

As per my understanding, you need to create a link which should open the target page on specific location. For that reason, I would suggest you to please try using XYZExplicitDestination class. Please check the following section for further information on Working with Links and Actions

In case of any further query, please feel free to contact.