We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Creation of mail merge template files

I am considering purchasing aspose.word. I understand that it does not come with a document viewer/editor. I want to give my users the ability to create/modify their own mail merge template files and include merge fields from my database, which will be hosted by a 3rd party hosting company.

I'm curious to know if others have done this, and if so, how they accomplished it.

Thanks.

Steve

Hello

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for your request. Yes you are right, Aspose.Words is a class library for processing Word documents programmatically; it does not provide any user interface for editing your documents. In your case I see two variants:

The first one: End user should download a document, open this document using MS Word, insert fields and upload back to server.

The second one: You can create a web form, where end user will be able to choose needed fields. Then, for example, you will be able to generate a template programmatically depending on the data from the web form.

Best regards,

Thanks for the reply. I have considered your first option - having the end user download the document and insert the fields. Is there a straightforward way of having the available merge fields in the document so that the end user can use them?

I don't want to have the end users download a document, convert it to a mail merge document, browse for a data source and then start adding the merge fields. For one thing, the data source wouldn't exist on their computers. I'd have to programmatically create another file - perhaps an Excel file or a CSV file - that contained the available fields. Then the end user would have to select this file as the data source for the mail merge document. This doesn't really sound like a feasible solution.

Thanks again for the help.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your request. You are right, you can attach a data source to your template, in this case user will be able to select fields from the list.

http://www.aspose.com/community/forums/253595/define-list-of-mail-merge-fields-available-in-template/showthread.aspx#253595

But, unfortunately, MS Word does not understand remote data sources, so the data source file should be available on the end-user’s PC.

Another way is just allow user to insert field like described here:

http://www.aspose.com/documentation/.net-components/aspose.words-for-.net/prepare-a-document.html

But in this case, customer should manually type names of fields.

Best regards,

A post was split to a new topic: Define list of mail merge fields available for template