Creation of mail merge template files

I am considering purchasing aspose.word. I understand that it does not come with a document viewer/editor. I want to give my users the ability to create/modify their own mail merge template files and include merge fields from my database, which will be hosted by a 3rd party hosting company.
I’m curious to know if others have done this, and if so, how they accomplished it.
Thanks.
Steve

Hello

Thanks for your request. Yes you are right, Aspose.Words is a class library for processing Word documents programmatically; it does not provide any user interface for editing your documents. In your case I see two variants:
The first one: End user should download a document, open this document using MS Word, insert fields and upload back to server.
The second one: You can create a web form, where end user will be able to choose needed fields. Then, for example, you will be able to generate a template programmatically depending on the data from the web form.
Best regards,

Thanks for the reply. I have considered your first option - having the end user download the document and insert the fields. Is there a straightforward way of having the available merge fields in the document so that the end user can use them?
I don’t want to have the end users download a document, convert it to a mail merge document, browse for a data source and then start adding the merge fields. For one thing, the data source wouldn’t exist on their computers. I’d have to programmatically create another file - perhaps an Excel file or a CSV file - that contained the available fields. Then the end user would have to select this file as the data source for the mail merge document. This doesn’t really sound like a feasible solution.
Thanks again for the help.
Steve

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your request. You are right, you can attach a data source to your template, in this case user will be able to select fields from the list.
https://forum.aspose.com/t/62072
But, unfortunately, MS Word does not understand remote data sources, so the data source file should be available on the end-user’s PC.
Another way is just allow user to insert field like described here:
https://docs.aspose.com/words/net/mail-merge-template/
But in this case, customer should manually type names of fields.
Best regards,

A post was split to a new topic: Define list of mail merge fields available for template