Critical Aspose.Excel Error

You just need to set license once so setting it at login will be redudant. If your application has enough rights there won’t be license issue.

To deploy dll to GAC, please go to control panel -> Administrator Tool -> .Net framework configuration. For more info please check MSDN.

Attached is a print screen of the error.

It’s a too general error. May it be caused by https settings?

We applied a temporary SSL license to our dev server and we still do not have the issue in dev.

Do we need any office components installed?

No. You don’t need to install any office component.

Could you please check the setting difference between your dev machine and your production machine?

And you can download and try latest version at https://releases.aspose.com/
It stops to use COM interface.

The production server has been patched to match the dev server and I deployed v3.4.2. Still stopping the aspnet_wp.

I am able to determine that the license is being set properly by adding some code to set the license and exit the function and that worked fine. The error seems to be occuring when I go to instantiate aspose.excel.excel.

I also created a small windows app and deployed itto the server. It opens a sheet and writes to one cell. That works fine.

Any other suggestions?

Could you try to create a small web app and deploy it to the server?

I ran depends.exe on the aspose.excel.dll and found that the mscoree.dll we are using in dev is a higher rev than production.

It looks like we applied a .NET framework hotfix in dev that is not in production. (KB886903)

I patched our production server and I still cannot run the dll.

What authorizations are needed?
Do you have any other ideas of things to look at?

No clue for this problem. Could you please try to install Aspose.Excel setup msi and see if the feature demos work correctly on your server?

the demos do not work either.

A simple windows app works, but a simple web app does not. The patch levels on both servers are now the same.

This leads me to believe this is a permissions issue or an IIS issue. Is there any documentation on the permissions needed or the IIS setting required.

Actually we use default IIS settings. Have you tried to deploy Aspose.Excel.dll to GAC?

I did deploy it to GAC and it didn't help.

Which version of .Net Framework are you using? V1.0 or v1.1?

Is the error of our demos same as your earlier posted screenshot? Does it occur when your create a new Excel object? Could you try the exception and print out the error message?

Do other web applications work correctly?

We are using .NET framwork 1.1. The error in the demos is the same as the error posted before and it occurs when I create a new excel object. I’ve tried to catch teh exception, but it does not fall through to the catch block. Once I try to create new the aspnet_wp dies. The web site functions fine as long as we don’t use the Aspose piece.

Sorry for this problem. Have you assiged full trust to Aspose.Excel?

If it still doesn't work, I can only recommend the following way to solve the error:

1. Find a brand new machine.
2. Install Windows and .Net Framework
3. Install all MS patches
4. Install Aspose.Excel. In this situation I think the demos will work fine.
5. Deploy your application. I also think it will work fine.
6. Config this machine step by step according the configuration in your production machine.
7. After each step, verify the application to see which step make it fail
8. Then we will find the cause and can investigate the solution.

I had 2 people here take a look at the problem and this is what we found:
We ran FILEMON against the aspnet_wp process and found an access denied message for the winnnt\fonts directory. We gave the ASPNET user read rights to the directory and everything began working as expected.