Criticism

Hello,
Where to send suggestions? Online documentation has lack of vital info in compare with some competitors, see here:

In addition to extreme lack of info for functions on help files, the default value is also not mentioned! The Blah Function Parameter As Boolean, what’s its default value?!
I think the creators of documents need to check the MSDN documentation to get some ideas!

What’s the meaning of generate new saving and modification dates when saving a message?
It means use Date.Now instead of original dates?

check message body content encoding when saving? just this?
what kind of check? and what will happen after this check?

preserve format of embedded message at converting to MailMessage? which format? extra lack of info, what happens if set to false or true when saving as OFT?

if I don’t set it, my signed messages are still having valid SMIME signature after saving!

Finally:

PreserveTnefAttachments, applies to which formats when loading/saving?
And what scenarios will happen if we set it to False or True?
If False, TNEF attachments are disregarded when saving or TNEF attachments will NOT load at load time?

Thanks

@australian.dev.nerds

We have logged a ticket for your requirement as EMAILNET-40681 in our issue tracking system. We will inform you via this forum thread once there is an update available on it.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Hello,
I’m surprised why simple question cases like this are taking too long to get a response!

Please kindly provide some info on the above said functions, they have lack of vital info on the help pages.

For example, CheckBodyContentEncoding, all the info we have on help page is:
Defines whether need check message body content encoding when saving.

So what kind of check is that, and what will happen after this check? We are not mind readers! We cannot guess what’s behind this function! And most people also cannot wait days or weeks for such simple questions!

@australian.dev.nerds

Please spare us some time. We will get back to you with requested APIs detail.

@australian.dev.nerds

• By default the value is false, meaning the creation and modification dates will be set to DateTime.Now.
  • By default the value is false. If true, it will be checked whether the MailMessage.HtmlBody content encoding matches the encoding specified by the MailMessage.BodyEncoding property. If the MailMessage.HtmlBody content encoding doesn’t match MailMessage.BodyEncoding property, the MailMessage.BodyEncoding and MailMessage.PreferredTextEncoding properties will be changed to default System.Text.Encoding.UTF8.
  • By default the value is false. Generally, embedded messages have the same format (EML or MSG) as the underlying message. By default, when converting from MSG to EML and vice versa, embedded messages are also converted to the target format. Setting the property to true preserves the original format of the embedded messages.
  • Controls TNEF attachment saving behaviour. This option affects messages whose winmail.dat TNEF attachment (if present) was decoded at loading. If the option is set, the previously decoded and extracted TNEF will be encoded and packaged again into the winmail.dat attachment during message saving. By default the option isn’t set.

Hello and thanks for the info.
Just my commend about the PreserveOriginalDates: usually the default value of such destructive functions should be disabled, I mean they should be preserved by default, unless there’s a notable reason.

Anyway, you didn’t mention PreserveSignedContent which I’ve faced issues with it, and don’t know the underlying logic.
Thanks.

@australian.dev.nerds

It seems that you are asking for API change. Please share some more detail about it along with simple use case. We will then provide you information on it.

Please spare us some time. This is being checked and we will reply you soon.

@australian.dev.nerds

The PreserveSignedContent property is only meaningful for signed messages; it has no effect on unsigned messages. This property is intended for some complex signed messages with detached signature generated by other clients, whose implementation differences prevent Aspose.Email from exactly replicating their MIME content generation. Saving such messages without using PreserveSignedContent will cause the signature in the saved messages to fail. Some simple messages and messages with an attached signature can be saved correctly without using this property.

Hello,
Some questions about PreserveSignedContent:

1. It applies to encrypted / dual signed+encrypted messages as well?

2. I’ve seen cases that setting it to True ruined the signed message and setting to False was working, so as I’ve posted before, did you check if internally the function is reversed?

3. While reading messages from PST/OST or OLM or MboxRd or TGZreader and saving as EmlSaveOptions(EmlFormat) , is it OK to always set it for all messages?

4. Is EmlSaveOptions.PreserveSignedContent exactly the same as MsgSaveOptions.PreserveSignature? If not what’s the difference?
    Thanks

@australian.dev.nerds

This property is intended for some complex signed messages with detached signature generated by other clients, whose implementation differences prevent Aspose.Email from exactly replicating their MIME content generation.

You will be informed via your other thread about this issue.

This property is intended for some complex signed messages with detached signature generated by other clients. So, there is no need to use this property.

There is no difference in these properties. Both properties preserve signature if set to true.