Delete categories from a bar chart

Hello ,
I am using aspose slides for java in order to generate a powerpoint from an excel sheet .
I need to modify the displayed categories ( rows ) of an histogram according to some criteria .
Below a histogram that I would to modify :

Sans titre1.png (2.5 KB)

I set the values of the categories I want to hide to “null” , the cells became empty but I still have a white space in my chart . I tried chart.getChartData().getCategories().remove(chart.getChartData().getCategories().get_Item(4)) but it doesn’t work .
In other words , I want to hide empty cells from the chart .
Is there any method to do this by using Aspose slides for java ?

Just a detail : I’m using a trial version of aspose.slides in order to test its functionlities and i’m planning to purchase the product soon .
Thank you .
Best regards

@mohameddh,

I have observed your comments. Can you please share sample files and source code so that we may further investigate to help you out.

Thank you for the quick answer ,
What I need to do is quite simple : I want to delete some bars from an histogram .
I attached two files : the first one is what I have as a chart and the second one is what I am trying to obtain ( delete 3 colnames from the chart ) .
Thank you very much for your cooperation .
Best regards

Existing.PNG (27.7 KB)
target.PNG (24.0 KB)

@mohameddh,

I have observed your requirements and suggest you to please try using following sample code on your end to serve the purpose. For your kind reference, I have also attached the source presentation as well.

public static void TestRemoveCategories()
     {
         String path = @"C:\\Aspose Data\\";

Presentation pres = new Presentation(path + "RemoveCats.pptx");

ISlide slide = pres.Slides[0];
         IChart chart = (IChart)slide.Shapes[0];

IChartCategoryCollection categoryCollection = chart.ChartData.Categories;

IChartCategory cat = categoryCollection[categoryCollection.Count - 1];
         categoryCollection.RemoveAt(categoryCollection.Count - 1);
         chart.ChartData.SetRange("Sheet1!$A$1:$B$8");
         pres.Save(path + "saved.pptx", Aspose.Slides.Export.SaveFormat.Pptx);

}

Aspose Data.zip (73.7 KB)

1 Like

I have tried the code but I encountred several problems :

1. java does not recognize “pres.Slides[0]” so I changed it to "pres.getSlides().get_Item(0) " and it works , the same for slide.Shapes[0] .

2.I changed “categoryCollection[categoryCollection.Count - 1]” to “categoryCollection.get_Item(categoryCollection.size() - 1)” , because the first syntax does not work .

3.Java does not recognize “RemoveAt” , so I changed it to “categoryCollection.remove(categoryCollection.get_Item(categoryCollection.size() - 1));”

4.java does not recognize the function"SetRange"

I think that I am using an outdated version of Aspose or it is due to the fact that I am using a trial version .

@mohameddh,

Please try using following sample code using Aspose.Slides for Java 17.7 on your end.

public static void TestRemoveCategories()
 {
     String path = "C:\\Aspose Data\\";

Presentation pres = new Presentation(path + "RemoveCats.pptx");

ISlide slide = pres.getSlides().get_Item(0);
     IChart chart = (IChart)slide.getShapes().get_Item(0);

IChartCategoryCollection categoryCollection = chart.getChartData().getCategories();

IChartCategory cat = categoryCollection.get_Item(categoryCollection.size() - 1);
     categoryCollection.removeAt(categoryCollection.size() - 1);
     chart.getChartData().setRange("Sheet1!$A$1:$B$8");
     pres.save(path + "saved.pptx", SaveFormat.Pptx);

}
1 Like

It works perfectly, thank you very much for your help

Hello ,
I have another question regarding the chart formatting : is there any method to change the font size and the font type of the pourcentage labels ? ( values above the bars )
Many thanks in advance

@mohameddh,

I have observed your requirements and suggest you to please visit Formatting Chart Entities documentation link where by you will find the sample for formatting chart data labels. I hope this will be helpful.