Dependency on Adobe PDF for pdf conversion

We are using WorkbookDesigner.Workbook.Save(…)/Aspose.Words.Document.Save(…) methods to convert our excel/word documents to PDF files.

So my question is that are these call dependent on adobe (pdf reader) version installed on my system? Can I even use the above methods on a system with no adobe (pdf reader) installed on the system?

Can I specify in Save method the PDF version to use to make the converted pdf compatible with some specific adobe version?

Hi Prateek,

Thanks for contacting support.

Our API’s are not dependent upon either Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader while converting Word/Excel/PPT/Image/TXT or any other supported file for to PDF format. The API’s use their native rendering engines to perform the conversion.

Now concerning to specifying the version of resultant PDF file, once the PDF file is generated, please try using Aspose.Pdf for .NET to convert/save the output in desired output version. Please take a look over following code snippet.

[C#]

// load source PDF file<o:p></o:p>

Aspose.Pdf.Document doc = new Aspose.Pdf.Document("source.pdf");

// convert the output as PDF V1.7

doc.Convert(new MemoryStream(), PdfFormat.v_1_7, ConvertErrorAction.Delete);

// save resultant PDF file

doc.Save(“output.pdf”);

Hi Team,

Please specify -
1. What is the default PDF version that is generated by your API native rendering engines?

2. Can we convert the PDF version to "1.3" using PDFFormat as suggested in your last reply?
As of now we are unable to see any option for version "v_1_3" in the PDFFormat list.

Please note - currently used Aspose.PDF.dll version details in our project -
Product Version - 2012.04.02
File Version - 6.9.0.0

Thanks,
Prateek Gupta

prateekgupta:
1. What is the default PDF version that is generated by your API native rendering engines?

Hi Prateek,

I am in coordination with my fellow workers from respective team (i.e. Aspose.Words, Aspose.Cells and Aspose.Slides) and will share the required information.

prateekgupta:
2. Can we convert the PDF version to “1.3” using PDFFormat as suggested in your last reply?
As of now we are unable to see any option for version “v_1_3” in the PDFFormat list.

When using the latest release of Aspose.Pdf for .NET 9.4.0, I am able to see v_1_3 option in PdfFormat enumeration. Please take a look over attached image file. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

prateekgupta:
Hi Prateek,

• Aspose.Cells generates PDF file in version: 1.4 (Acrobat 5.x).
  • Aspose.Words saves the PDF with version 1.5.
  • Aspose.Slides saves presentation to PDF version 1.5.

In the event of any further query, please feel free to contact.